Moving on from 156 to 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: -
Chilling Moving on from 156 to 159

As of 3 weeks (or so) ago, I sold my beloved 156 V6 (phase 1) and purchased a 159 JTS

I was originally looking for a 1.9 lusso for the obvious fuel economy, but there was a 2.2 in the exact combo i wanted in an Alfa garage, so went for a test drive on the proviso that it had a 'half' decent return on the mpg (30+) which it did (35 ish IIRC)

The biggest suprise...

....was the dealership , boy have they changed! I was expecting the worst, but was treated spectacularly well, sat down, had a chat, called me 'sir', all on a very professional and yet friendly manner, discussed what i wanted to pay and have done and nothing was too much, felt like i was buying a new car! 9/10 (only a 9 as they only changed 3/4 tires, is that dangerous? :BLINK: )

The comparison:

New car: 2.2JTS Lusso, Black with Tan leather
Previous car: 156 2.5V6 Veloce, Silver with Black Leather (and before that had a 1.8TS)

The cabin is smaller than it looks in pictures, not a bad thing though, i prefer it, cabin quality and fit and finish is better, it rides better over bumps, less noise in the cabin and the aircon compressor is quiet too. No longer has any rattles from any trim (although this is the lowest mileage car I have ever owned), only problem so far is that the oil temp stays at 70 and doesn't move :think: , the engine performs well, sounds nice (but not V6 nice) and pulls evenly throughout the rev range, so far delivering 30mpg+ on every trip with mixed driving. The boot is bigger, steering not quite as sharp as the 156, but grips levels are on par, and i think it has a better turning circle which makes it easier to park.

Best bits:
looks in and out, brushed aluminum center console, build quality, tan leather seats etc etc

Bad bits:

Got the dreaded 2.2 hesitation, I'm getting use to it, but will get it 'fixed'
Noisy Gearbox, goes into gear fine, but is very 'mechanical' sounding
Paint is a little on the soft side (a finger nail would scratch it)

What I miss from the 156:
The engine more than anything, sorry, but you can't beat a Alfa V6 (looks, sound and performance)
The rear hidden door handles, it was a nice touch.
Lightness of the car, you feel the weight a bit more in the 159, not as bad as expected however!

All in all this car reminds me of when i first got my twinny 156 (my first Alfa), can't stop looking at it, getting in it and looking forward to driving it, not to mention the comments and looks the car gets. Its very different from the 156, like me, its more mature and grown up, whilst the 156 was more lively and sportier IMHO, just wish i could of kept my 156 V6 as well.

Sorry for the long (and possibly the longest) post i have ever written

The BORED No 2
The BORED Collective

Last edited by Snokio; 17-07-10 at 08:40.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
Very nice comparison Snokio.

Congrats on the new 159 - I hope you have a lot of happy miles together.

I dropped off the C-class hire car today as I got my Ti back after 3 days and it just felt so much better I found myself talking to her!
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 62
County: Greater Manchester
glad you're pleased with the new motor snokio. similar experience for me when i went from a 156 to 159, although i found the 159 has a lot more grip than the old car. still miss the lightness though
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Nice, nice. I understand where you're coming from, having had a 156 (albeit 2.0) in the past.

AO Member
County: Northumberland
Spot on I felt the same from my old 156, miss the point and go agility of it.

but the 159 is more dare i say it "german" in its build quality,it is a solid car with a great suspension, and enough quirks to keep you reminded that it’s an alfa!
Graham P
Get the Mangos mod 4 done and put an end to the hesitation and say hello to a sound on a par with the V6 (when caning it)
I think the 2.2 will do you proud.

Errr, where are the pictures..?

AO Platinum Member
County: Essex

As Nev says we need pics please
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9 Jtd

With the 159 in the garage for three weeks and still no sign of the part required to fx it, what I miss about my old 156 is its reliability

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

156 , 159 , moving