159 Rear Window Regulator - Issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-07-10 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

159 JTD

159 Rear Window Regulator - Issues

Anyone else had issues with the rear window regulators?

About 6 monhts ago my RHR window just dropped and whilst the motor seemed to be turning the window would not wind up. Dealer installed a new regulator and having a look at the old one they took out it seemed that a small plastic part was broken. Alfa offered to pay half the cost of the spares (and probably still made money on it) and thinking that it was a one off and bad luck I agreed to get it fixed.

Now I find that the same thing has happened to the LHR window.

Now the rear windows really don't get used much. 99% of my driving is done on my own and I can count the number of times I have had rear seat passengers on both hands.

To have both fail with little use tells me that there is a design or manufacture problem and if so someone else must have experienced it as well.

The car is a 2006 2.4 JTD

Overall I am happy with the car but I will be unhappy to pay AUD700+ for a new reg especially when I am not sure that the issue won't reoccur.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey
ive had all 4 regulators changed.
No randon window dropping, it was just when closing the doors with the windows down the glass had no firm contact with anything and rattled to the point of it could have shattered if the door was slammed.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
I had a similar experience with my old 156. I just took the regulators out and gave them a good spray with electro lube. All that had happened was that the regulators had seized due to lack of use. They worked fine after this and even now on my 159 I always operate the rear windows every couple of weeks to prevent this happening.

It is probrably a case of Alfa using crap regulators. Just operate the rear windows now and then and hopefully this won't happen again.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 15-07-10 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

159 JTD

Thanks for the replies guys.

Possibly it is from under use but the internals of the last one that was replaced had the wire all mangled, whether that was a cause or result it is difficult to tell.

I will report back on how I go with Alfa Australia. Have to tell you though that I won't let my next Alfa (if I do buy another) go past the 3y warranty period.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , issues , rear , regulator , window