159 breakdown - clutch pedal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 10-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

159 breakdown - clutch pedal

Last night I was driving home in my 57 plate 159SW and approaching a junction. I was in 4th gear and depressed the clutch to change down. The pedal hit the floor and I was still in 4th gear! So I had no clutch.

Very luckily there was nothing in front or behind me. So with the gear lever I put the car into neutral and came to a stop. The AA came to my rescue. They said the pushrod from the clutch master cylinder had become disconnected from the clutch pedal. They managed to reconnect it and fix it in place with some expoxy putty. The AA person thought the mechanism wasn't a great design.

Just wondered if this had happened to anyone else?

This was my first breakdown in 30 years of motoring (and just 7 months Alfa ownership). I guess I was lucky in the past. Looking back I was also very lucky that this happened with nothing in front of me as I might well have ran into it.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDM

I think the same thing happened to a guy in a 159 on the "EVO Triangle" run we did about two Mmonths ago. I didn't really know the guy but I think it was mentioned on the thread associated with the run. Luckily for him there was someone who knew a mechanic from Mangoletsi's. From what I heard later, they just poped it back in, apparently it's a fairly common problem.
AO Member
County: Cardiff

Member car:

Lexus IS 200 D

i think the pin from the master cylinder to the pedal is held in place by a R clip, it came out on mine just after the cylinder was replaced so not the cars fault!!
AO Member

Member car:

My clutch pedal just made a "clunk" noise when i pulled up to a stop and all resistance in the pedal has gone. I can put it in gear etc but the clutch slips if I rev it. I' drove her to Alfa in Shrewsbury who think the clutch has gone but it's only had 42, 000 miles of steady driving with no towing. BTW a clutch W/O a flywheel costs aroud a thousand to fix.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , breakdown , clutch , pedal