Contrasting reports on reliability 159/Breras - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Riga

Member car:

Contrasting reports on reliability 159/Breras

Reading radically different reliability reports from 159/Brera owners I came to the idea to try finding a reason for that. It seems that problematic (or flawless, in its turn) reports are made as by people who bought their cars from new, as well as by second hand buyers. so it doesn't look as decisive factor. The other reason may be production place. We know that Breras are assembled at Pininfarina production line (that is going to close next year, sadly). So we have to check where 159 are produced. Is there any other factory doing this car besides the troubled Napoli plant?
Sponsored Links
All 159s come from the Pomigliani plant near Naples to the best of my knowledge.
That is unlikely to change as the end is in sight for the model in 2012.

Brera and Spider were both assembled at Pininfarina - and they stop production in the next few months.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Well for what it's worth I have to say my experience of the 159 has been absolutely fantastic. Thats it, i've done it now.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

Have owned Three 159's now, I must be mad, or could it be reliability?

But lets face it, when your sitting in an Alfa Romeo, everything else just looks plain
AO Member
County: West Midlands
It is impossible to get any impression of reliability from individual owner's reports, or even from collating reports on a web forum such as this. You need to get the big picture in order to find out about reliability, based on at least hundreds, if not thousands, of randomly sampled responses.
AO Silver Member
County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Alfaless :( BMW!

I bought an early Brera JTDM (03/2006 reg.) second hand at around 32k miles and just over 2 years old - I owned it for 15 trouble free months and 12k miles and enjoyed it as my first trip into the diesel world.

Only minor issues that I had was the oild degredation light coming on but this was down to previous servicing dealer not resetting correctly. Cost me 40 to get this reset as was to far away to take back to previous garage who admitted error. I also got front and rear badges replaced under warranty but that was only down to slight fading and me being very fussy!

The Brera was great to own and fairly practical as there are only the three of us and my daughter was young. But no one could sit behind me in my driving seat position, I did make myself a bit less comfortable on occassion to allow a fourth person in. Boot is well sized although high lip styling can make loading awkward. The reversing sensors are a great feature especially due to the thick rear pillars. We took the Brera on a 2 to 3 week trip to South of France doing around 2700 miles - Went great and averaged around 35mpg. I enjoyed the styling (especially the frameless doors ), build quality and the great cabin which is enhanced by the panoramic roof providing so much light.

The 5 cylinder diesel was a bit rattly on start up and tick over but sounded great under load and was very capable and tourquey. I did a little bit of tweaking - Drilled the airbox and put in Autodelta element and replaced the exhaust rear boxes with those from a Brera S

Hope this helps someone

Gone but not forgotten - 164 3.0 12v - 156 1.8 SP1 - 164 3.0 24v - 156 SW 1.8 SP3 - 166 Super - 166 3.2 Ti - Brera SV JTDM - 156GTA - 147GTA - 147GTA - 156GTA - currently Alfaless
AO Silver Member
County: -
As a Brera owner to be this looks reassuring:

Alfa Romeo Brera Buyer's Guide
AO Member
My 3 year old 159 has been bullet proof in terms of reliability, in terms of quality 3 main issues have arisen. 2 related to build quality. Front tyres suffered from inner edge wear at 18k miles down to the canvas on inside but 1.6mm on outside, other build issue was windscreen creak which I've resolved with silicone spray behind weatherstrip. The component issue relates to both boot struts breaking and needing to be replaced.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 or breras , contrasting , reliability , reports