Brera/159/Spider Oil Change interval - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brera/159/Spider Oil Change interval

Was after any ideas on how regularly the oil should be changed moving forward after doing 10,000km.

Maybe every 5,000km or 10,000 km from here on in?

The service schedule intervals are huge in the service book (15,000km 30,000km) so wanted to see what the general consensus is on here.
Sponsored Links
Depends how much money your dealer wants to make.
AO Member
my dealer said it doesn't need a change between services (30,000 km)

I used to get it done every 10k in the old alfa. perhaps that was overdoing it but it gave me some peace of mind
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
i use to do it every 10,000km, but my local dealer said to do it every 15,000km. so now i do it every 15,000.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
I think that the diesels have an oil degradation sensor so the car decides when the oil needs changing, but they usually get to about 15000miles before it says it's time to change. The oil change isn't included in the service intervals for the diesels....or the times/prices.

However most seem to get it changed at the (annual) service.

Anyway, enough about the dark stuff. I think I'd be going at least annually/21000miles with the proper quality stuff.
Well I am definitley no expert and will not pretend to be yet from what I gather, it does depend on a few other factors too, namely:

1) What distances you drive...normally. Alot and vast distances with conjestive traffic condditions with stop/start or a minor amount of distances with stop/start traffic orientated driving.

2) How aggressive you drive.

3) Oil brand and quality - some have greater film strength with a higher breakdown point.

4)how hot the oil normally get because as a result of your driving style - it does break down when it gets hot and looses its protective film ability quicker or slower depending on the oil brand and quality and driving conditions.

5) The engine you obviously have is a pretty handy factor...

There maybe more but that is what comes to mind.
I think the manual says 18,000miles for the petrols, or two years. I don't think Alfa even recommend an annual service for low milers. It tells you if it needs done before that. Only exception is lots of short journeys / towing, ect. Every 5 or 10k (kms?) would be overdoing it a bit in a modern car I would think.
Cheers for the feedback guys.

I'm thinking maybe to just change the oil when I do my annual service.

It's a daily drive to commute to work but I don't expect to do more than 10,000km/year so hopefully that arrangement should work moving forward.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera or 159 or spider , change , interval , oil