Miss the spider! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider LE

Miss the spider!

Hey all

I used to be on here quite a bit, but ended the Spider lease early last year. There were two main reasons for this:

1) The car was really unreliable, roof wouldn't work half the time and many squeaks/rattles were driving me mad. I also had many electrical issues and the notorious hesitation problem.

2) I gave up my job in the city to study a masters in real estate (where I now work) and subsequently my salary is far lower than it was before so couldn't justify it.

I decided to make a head over heart decision for once and bought a, wait for it - A200cdi 3 door auto. The car is far more reliable but obviously not very exciting, although 50mpg is a welcome surprise. Saying this, it's just a normal car and that's the problem.

The Spider was my first Alfa and I hugely miss the looks and the feeling it gives you when driving, it definitely had a "soul". What I will say is, I don't think it'll be long before I return to the Alfa marque and am currently looking at 159ti prices, although I am highly sceptical about buying and owning an Alfa - the depreciation just seems a killer. But no other car gives the same feeling that owning an Alfa does (except maybe my Dad's Quattroporte!)

Happy driving, my heart still wimpers a bit when I see another one on the road. I have certainly not been put off by the problems the Spider had. Ciao Bella!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
La belle dame sans merci hath thee in thrall !
AO Member
Originally Posted by courboy View Post
my heart still wimpers a bit when I see another one on the road
Yep I know exactly what you mean, which is why I'm back on here again too! We got shot of our Spider LE early for many of the same reasons (well documented on here!), and have done the same thing of looking at all the more sensible options trying to find something to replace it, but haven't been able to decide on anything (we're using our old car we held on to when we got the Spider).

But every time we see a Brera or Spider, we're tempted to risk it again (despite swearing 'never again' I suspect it's almost definite now that we will!).

Good luck if you ever decide to get another one!
AO Member
Loved the look of mine and it went well on mirror smooth roads. However, I couldn't stand the rattles, the ride and the way the paintwork was deteriorating, so it was returned to FGA two months early. I don't miss it at all (which couldn't be said of the Brera it replaced which was much more enjoyable). I'm looking at a DS3 or the new Abarth Punto Evo when it arrives in the UK in August. I would probably have gone back to a Brera but as its being shelved don't want to take on a car that is going to be obsolete almost as soon as I take delivery. Nothing else in the Alfa range tempts me at the moment - frustrating!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

miss , spider