Isofix leather damage? (and other questions!) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 08-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

ex 159 2.4jtd SW

Help Isofix leather damage? (and other questions!)

Hi folks,

Time has arrived to move up from the baby seat to a Group 1.

We've been using a sunshine kids ultra mat for the last 8 months under a seatbelt fixed maxi-cosi. It has worked fine, secure and not a mark or dent on the tan leather!

Now we need the next stage chair, my first thoughts were a belt fitted chair again, keeping the ultra mat. (I'm confident we'll continue to get the fitting fully safe and secure, and we quite like the Britax King ts).

Before we decide, just having a look at isofix again, but bit concerned the mounting points are buried deep under the back cushions (not like the wife's A3, where they stick out proud). Don't fancy the idea of pushing sharp metal prongs past my unblemished leather!! We will need to swop the seat between cars, so it won't be a fit and forget!

From anyone's experience do the clips damage the seats?

One chair (britax) seems to come with plastic isofix 'locators' which clip on first, is this normal?

Also....what's with the 'top tether' on the seat back, do you have to use this? (some seats don't include one). Some seats have legs too??

Any tips, thoughts or recommendations appreciated,

PS. pleased to report wife is 'on message' about possible seat damage risk...alfisti in the making?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
I have always used Recaro isofix seats in my Ti and no marks or damage as of yet. My son is now 3 and in the last style seat and I've got to admit they are fantastic, his new one has even got little speakers in!! One bad point on the Alfa is you really have to dig deep to get to the isofix bars unlike the VW/Audi stuff.
AO Member
County: -
I also installed an isofix Britax in our 159.

The plastic locators do help but would be more useful if they were white as opposed to black. Tippex them so you can still see them when they disappear into the crease. The child seat has been in and out a couple of times without any damage.

Top-Tether was not required for my Britax but other models may need it.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa Red 159 2.4

I've got the Britax seat as well, i couldn't actually get the locators to hook over the ISOFIX bars properly as they were set too far back. The ISOFIX goes in with a a good shove but does leave some dents in the leather as its so snug, however having a towel underneath does help. The ISOFIX is now permanently in the wife's Merc A Class, the ISOFIX is much easier to fit too as they are prominent.
I just use the seat belt now on the rare occasion he comes in my car.
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 TBi Ti

I use a NEAT SEAT to protect all the leather surfaces from the Baby seat, which was £29.99 from Mothercare, it seems pretty good so far!

Neatseat™ : mothercare- Nursery Equipment, Maternity Clothes & Baby Shop

Fitting the ISOFIX base was a bit of a sod as the bars are very recessed, (The ease of ISOFIX access is the one good thing about Wifey's BMW).
AO Member
Using the isofix does leave a dent in the seats but this seems to lift after a few days. I've two Isofix seats in place - one is just the base (with a 'leg' and rear brace) for a carry seat; the other is group1. Both seats are in & out regular without damage to the leather at all.

Rather than putting each 'prong' in straight away I've found seating one of them close to the fixing, then fitting the other fully, and then going back to the first worked best. I don't use the guides as fitting them was too painful in the first place.

I do use a top tether (on the group 1), not sure it's really needed mind, but if it's fitted and pulled taught then the seat (child) won't recline properly!
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

If a seat comes with a top tether or a foot I'd recommend using it if the vehicle allows as it will help to limit the movement the seat has if you're unfortunately involved in an accident
AO Member

Member car:

2008 159 sw Ti

am i missing something or am i fitting my isofix incorrectly? when fitted in my SW TI, the base barely touches the leather its brilliant. No issues with scuffed leather and its been in and out of the car a few times

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

damage , isofix , leather , questions