Mangos 159 TBI Upgrade vs. Giulietta Cloverleaf - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

159 2.2 TI

Mangos 159 TBI Upgrade vs. Giulietta Cloverleaf

Hi all - a question for the technically minded please:
If a buy a 159/Brera TBI and give it to Mangos to tune to 240odd hp will I end up with the same engine as the one in the new Giulietta Cloverleaf? I guess what I'm asking is does the new engine derive its added power/torque through electronic programming or is it physically a bigger unit?
Two reasons for asking: 1) I can't see why Alfa have not announced plans to place this new engine into the 159/Brera to boost sales during the twilight months of these products.
-and 2) I attended a preview of the Giulietta recently and it left me luke-warm at best. Nothing wrong with the car but I didn't feel any of the must have that I felt with my Brera and 159. The external styling is okay if a little conservative (although I dislike all of these new regulation compliant soft noses) and the inside is much the same story. All a little middle of the road and unless you buy the sat-nav at 1200 the centre console looks bare. Chuck in the lovely sunroof as well and you're up to 28k ish!!!
Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising the car and I would buy one if it is as good to drive as the reviews promise. But this would be a purchase with the head, I've always bought Alfas with my heart. (Perhaps this could be a stroke of genius to get this car into the mass market rather than just brand devotees such as me!)
Plan B therefore may be to beef up a standard 159/Brera tbi. But before doing so do I need to think about changes to standard set ups such as brakes etc or would the current car be engineered to take it? Cheers
Sponsored Links
The Giulietta is essentially the same engine as the one in the 159TBi and according to press releases gains its extra power by "Turbo-overboost" .
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
The 1750 in the Giulietta supposedly just has a different map and there's nothing to stop it being applied to the 159/Brera/Spider.

Although it looks like you've found a good solution with the Mangos mod already

And it depends how much you're looking to "beef up" the 1750 Brera, it's going to be fine with the stock equipment up to the circa 240bhp Mangos have them putting out.
AO Gold Member
You may see the TBI MA version of this engine rated at 265bhp, but since the Brera/946 Spider is being axed next year this may not happen. It could happen though in the 159, coinciding with the withdrawal of the Holden V6. This could really give the 159 a final 'push' before this model is replaced in 2012.

I still think the 265 engine will find its way into the Giulietta, to become the Giulietta GTA. That would be really interesing, and would finally bring serious competition to the Germans.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

E82 125i

Originally Posted by ukmike2008 View Post
The Giulietta is essentially the same engine as the one in the 159TBi and according to press releases gains its extra power by "Turbo-overboost" .
yeah, the 235ps is only available for short bursts on overboost as mike says, if it were a true 232bhp engine the guilietta would have much more impressive acceleration figures
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Know what you mean; I feel a bit like that about the styling of the Giulietta.

The 159 is just GORGEOUS
I'd say the standard 200BHP 1750TBi is going to give you enough of a change
to start with compared to the 2.2 JTS anyway.

Have you tested one yet?

The problem with the Giulietta is it's a 5 door hatch and
no matter how much door handle hiding they do:
It's still a 5 door Euro hatch.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , cloverleaf , giulietta , mangos , tbi , upgrade