Advice for a potential 159 buyer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Mazda Mx5

Advice for a potential 159 buyer

I'm currently driving a Mazda Mx5 which is a massive amount of fun to drive. However its nearly eight years old, though running perfectly, and I'm now thirty six and have started to think its about time I had something with a little more gravitas...though also with the pleasure levels I get from driving my little '5.'

I've got my heart set on a 159 JTDM 2.4...preferably in black. However I could really do with finding out about all those niggles that affect various models, years and so on. Essentially some sound advice from those that truly know i.e. Alfa owners

I'd love to hear some advice, warnings, suggestions on other models...anything that may help me to get the right car for me.

I'm a freelance photographer and will regularly drive between 20-35k per year, I'm married but we've got no children so it'll only be my wife, my photo gear and clients that will get to be passengers so no real worries about space, besides I can squeeze everything into my mx5 at the moment

My mechanical knowledge is pretty shocking, hence going for the Maz previously, however the business is going pretty well so I can risk the odd visit to the garage if need be. Though obviously I'm hoping some sound advice at this stage may reduce those visits!

I live in Suffolk and am aware of dealerships in Bury St Edmunds and Chelmsford, so any experiences of those dealerships, their customer service, mechanical service etc would be greatly appreciated as well as any other similar advice.

I recognise that these kind of posts must come up fairly often so am happy to follow any links to previous posts that may have run over this ground.

Thanks to all in advance and I look forward to joining in future discussions

Sponsored Links
Graham P
If no kids then get a Brera

P.S I've had no problems with any of my 159's so can say from my point of viw that they seem pretty bullet proof
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 505
County: New South Wales
Just coming up to two years ownership of a 159 2.4 JTD. Pretty much rock solid so far - had one prob with the aircon which was fixed under warranty. Am doing about 26000 km per year.
AO Member
I just got my 159 (from a 2.4 JTD 156) so can't speak about long term reliability (although there were some pointers given to me, which I list at the bottom). the general build and interior design quality on the 159 seems better than the 156 and streets ahead of its rivals (BMW/Audi) although the aesthetics are ofc personal (no they're not DAMMIT, they're just better! )

The 2.4 JTD is a cracking engine but be prepared, you're not getting blueline super eco mileage with it. Look up the sticky thread at the top of the forum for this and you'll see what I mean. It's not that the mileage is bad, just not what we're led to expect from diesels these days. But then it has 210 BHP and sounds like no other diesel I've driven

from what I can tell, the watch points on the 159 are;

Paintwork. Some colours (Red for one) seem to be a problem, see the sticky at the top of the forum. Mine's black and 2 1/2 years old having been parked outside the whole time and covered 35k km and seems good as new. My 156 was silver and same story, 8 years an no issues.
Nothchy gear change. Gearbox is rumoured to be bullet proof and I've not seen any reports of GB failure since I moved from the 156 forum (where they litter the floor like so much confetti ) to this one. notchiness in the gear change seems to be a common feature, although it allegedly has no impact on GB life. Getting a mechanic to fiddle with the linkage and / or change the GB oil out apparantly can mitigate this. New oil didn't work for me, I'll get them to have a fiddle come first service. Frankly, though, I'm already used to it
Fuel tank on some Q4 models had some fault in the shape which meant they were tough to get full. Can be fixed, mine's OK
power steering some apparently shipped with the wrong hydraulic oil in and this could cause power steering and even rack failures. Make sure it's been done (Hyd oil change)

I would have gone for a 2.4 rather than the V6 I got but there wasn't one available. I do love my V6 but I also do >30k km per year so the fuel costs are a constant reminder.

and as that lot said, if no kids (and no bikes, the reason I got a SW) then I'd go for a Brera, if only for the gorgeousness of it

Last edited by bomberesque; 04-05-10 at 08:03.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-10 Thread Starter
County: Suffolk

Member car:

Mazda Mx5

I must be a bit odd as I actually prefer the overall look of the 159 over the Brera I didn't ever think I'd find a saloon quite so good looking.

I had read a little about the Power Steering, am I correct in thinking that it affected 2006 models? ( I'm not sure if it was just 2006 or previous years as well.)

I'm aware of the, comparatively, poor MPG you get with the diesel but it still has to be better than my current MPG...the 5 screams out to be driven hard and the mpg takes a huge hit as a result, usually leaving me a very long way short of 30mpg.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa Red 159 2.4

I'd keep the MX5 for weekends and get a 159 for the motorway work
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Agree about it being the best looking saloon around!
I had years of bullet proof Saab ownership prior to this Alfa, so am used to the car going for ever and ever. So far I am really pleased with the build quality and the overall experience of the 159.
Interior is great, seats really comfy, switch gear user friendly and has a quality feel to it.
Mine has 77K miles on it now, and racking up even more over the coming weeks.

I have a few niggles at the moment, but then at that mileage nearly all cars are going to have a grumble and need some tlc.

Tyre wear, mpg, power steering, paint quality and a few minor electrical gremlins seem to be the main issues cropping up on this forum. Just remember that many people post when there is a problem, not if everything is fine, so this may sway the overall actual opinion and experience.

I am very happy with mine, gives me a real sense of occasion when driving and looking at it. Oh, and everyone thinks it cost a whole heap more than it actually did!

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
AO Member
Originally Posted by PhotoSnapper View Post
I had read a little about the Power Steering, am I correct in thinking that it affected 2006 models? ( I'm not sure if it was just 2006 or previous years as well.)

Mine is a early '08 and had to have the oil changed, although it is an assumption on my part that this was due to the same issue reported elsewhere, it was done by the previous owner under warranty.

beware, teh 2.4D rather "screams out to be driven hard" ... if you know what I mean

still, can't imagine a car I'd sooner own (ok; a quattroporte / grantourismo but reality, please )

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , buyer , potential