Am I driving my 159 the right way - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

Alfa 159!

Hmmm Am I driving my 159 the right way

Hello folks!

Well it's been 5 weeks and 5000 kms in my 08 MY 159 1.9 Jtd and I absolutely love it. It tops my previously top loved car from my past, a 2.0 V6 Rover 75, that was a classy old bus can't beat the value of turning to look at it every time ya park it.

I'm just wondering am I doing everything right, because I'll be honest I'm giving myself the jitters big time I have some sort of rattle that sounds like its coming from the drivers door ( must be the noted B pillar problem?) and the windscreen sounds like a bowl of rice krispies in the morning as it goes from cold to warm these are things I can put up with..

1) I'm just worried about 2 things, when doing parking maneuvres the steering can make a knocking noise when I turn it? I've seen from searching the forum that the steering column is a common problem but was it addressed by the time my car was built?

2) When I clutch in and change from second and engage third, I can hear a clunk from what sounds like under the passenger footwell. it doesn't do it going from fourth to fifth? The rev counter does not rev when I engage the clutch or change gear.

Obviously it's my first alfa but i did own a rover and it was up on the trailer a few times with clutch master cylinder problems... Am I just giving myself the jitters or is there something I should have checked? Fuel consumption is amazing, and no performance problems. I'd get 950kms from a full tank and I do 200km motorway roundtrip to work a day... Every time the car makes a funny sound I'm praying

and sorry to be a pain but was it a 3 year warranty on a car 1st registered in April 08??

Cheers men

Io sono un Alfista..!
Sponsored Links
Definitely get the steering rack checked/replaced if it's still under warranty.
AO Member
there were problems with incorrect fluid being supplied in early model 159 power steering units. The previous owner of my (earlly '08) 159 had it fixed (was just bleed and replace the hydraulic oil iirc) under warranty but I believe if left it can lead to bigger problems so get that looked at.

shifting issues I don't know. creaks and noises (aside from tyre roar) I've not noticed
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Gear change is the same on mine..... charachteristic i (and a lot of others) have been told, not been too bad for last 6 months only started again as it went out of warranty!

Had rack replaced inside of warranty about 6 weeks ago..... was not making the noises you were stating though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 22-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kildare

Member car:

Alfa 159!

Characteristic isn't so bad, don't mind it once I know it's not something that will leave me at the side of the road :-D

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , driving