Goodbye (for the time being) and thanks! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Ex Brera 2.2JTS

Goodbye (for the time being) and thanks!

Well having owned a 2.2 Brera JTS since July 2008, I've today traded her in for an E60 530d M Sport. I have had nearly 2 years wonderful motoring from the Brera, my second Alfa. The Brera was an excellent car, and I had plenty of fun in her! She gave me a lot of pleasure and big smiles, as well as being the most gorgeous car I've ever owned. Still, I do have a habit of getting bored with cars after 18 to 24 months, and it was time for a change for me.

The only mechanical issues I suffered from were the dreaded power steering problems. I had the rack replaced at 36k miles. Although the steering was much better, the peculiar noises never disappeared despite having the fluid replaced. This was a contributory factor in my decision to bail out, but even more the was the need for something bigger and more economical, but still having the right amount of pace and power. The 530 suits my needs and in black with privacy glass its as mean a looking car as I have ever owned.

I don't want this thread to turn into the usual BMW-bashing "Alfa's are better-looking/have more passion" type threads (which IMHO is the one thing that lets this forum down). I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has replied to my past threads offering helpful advice and opinions on the various niggles and power steering issues my car suffered from. Thanks to you guys I was able to ensure that my car was always in tip-top shape, and if it weren't for the advice offered here I may have had a hefty bill for the steering rack replacement out of warranty. It was information provided to the dealer from these threads that helped persuade them to replace the rack as a matter of urgency a week before the warranty ran out!!

I may succumb to Alfa ownership in the future I'm sure. I would like to see the return of a 166 sized car. I looked at the 159, but it wasn't different enough to the Brera for me to be tempted. I would love to see Alfa develop the Brera/159 style front end on future models, as it is simply stunning. Not too keen on the Mito bug-eyed style they seem to be going with now.

Bye for now and all the best!

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Best of luck with the 530
Have fun in the BMW - I will try and look out for your car in the West Midlands area - just don't expect me to let you out of a side turning!

Safe journeys!
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Enjoy! Good luck and happy motoring....
AO Member
County: Kent
Good luck with the Beemer. They are certainly good cars; and the 3.0 Diesel is a stonking engine. I've looked at them many times myself; so I'm not about to knock them. The only thing that's stopped me buying one in the past has been that they just never seem to excite my heart. I wish you well and hope you're as pleased with it as you have been with the Brera. I for one will be interested to hear your 'road test' of it once you've had it for a while.
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Good luck with the BMW! It's a great car you're getting IMHO, but I am a confirmed BMW nut, having had a 330d, 335d, a couple of X3's and now an X5, all with the 3.0d engine (in addition to a 328i along the way). The latest 530d has a combined of 46mpg!!

Last edited by Senocular; 05-04-10 at 20:42.
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Good luck with the BM and stick around AO.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

goodbye , time