Lost my Horn! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 31-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Lost my Horn!

Typical after never needing to use my horn in 3 years of happy motoring some b*gger pulled out on me last week and i almost had a head on collision luckily i braked in time and went to bang the horn and hey presto nothing, nada not a sound - so the guy got away without even a wagging of my finger

Anyway i have since taken it into my local dealers and despite being booked in for the day they did not find what was wrong with it having checked the fuse and the relays. They reckon it is going to take a 3 hour job to remove the dash and check the wiring which could just be a fault with loose wires or even worse a replacement loom. Anyway they have qouted 350 labour costs just to remove the dash then around 400 quid if it needs a new loom. Currently i have done 87500 miles so it will soon require a 90000 mile service (the cambelt change) thats 700. So all in all i could be forking out upto 2000. Whilst i was their the dealer gave me a 5000 trade in price

Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their horn
And whether or not i should spend the money or put the money towards a new one.

It should be said this is my first problem (other than the usual wear and tear - tyres and suspension coils) after 3 years of happy motoring - the car being 4 yrs old 56 plate
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Citroen DS3

Without wanting to sound obvious as I haven't got a 159, have they tried a replacement horn? Surely they could test the wiring that way?
UKMIKE2008, you beat me to the obvious post
It's the horn switch probably.
Originally Posted by Alfamack View Post
UKMIKE2008, you beat me to the obvious post
First rule of comedy........................ Timing!

Back to the plot - presumably the dealer tested the horn itself? Then its almost certainly the contacts on the steering wheel. Not stripped an Alfa wheel but the last car I dared take the wheel off (pre airbag days), was a Ford and it had contact rings on the back of the boss and a sprung contact on the column.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Underneath the airbag are two springs linked to the horn switch. The airbag sits on top of the springs, they push it into the clips on the left/right side of the bag.
The airbag is a heavy beast, so maybe a failure in this mechanism? Does the horn push in and spring back as it should?
I have taken the air bag out, so I can speak from experience!
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
It can't have been broken long because it's part of the MOT test isn't it?
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

156 jts

Hi i dont know if the 159 steering wheel is the same as the 156 facelift,i had the prob of no power to the steering wheel controls (stereo) and horn needed to replace clockspring and steering wheel job done working fine now.Just remember if you do it yourself need to disconnect battery for half an hour or so. dont wont air bag going off. hope this helps as i said not sure as to set up of the 159.
Good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

horn , lost