Er.... hello again. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 30-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Er.... hello again.

You may remember me from such threads as "My Spider's hood still doesn't work after 8 attempts to fix it"...

Eventually, we rejected our Spider LE and were determined never to have anything to do with Alfa ever again. That was November 2009.

Since then we've been struggling to decide what to replace it with. An SLK or BMW Z4 are a bit "Judith Chalmers", Boxsters and TTs are just everywhere, and four seater convertibles are just wrong IMHO. Added to which a change in our circumstances means we'll be rationalizing to just one car. So although there's just the two of us, the new car needs to be comfortable and able to accommodate shopping, luggage, and (very occasionally) a passenger.

So we've been looking at A5s, test drove a couple, they look good but again they're everywhere. Two family members have A4s, which are basically the same, and my wife just drove one to Chester and said it was very uncomfortable.

We then looked at pretty much everything out there but couldn't find anything we both liked.

Then the other day my wife said "what about a Brera?". Turns out we'd each been seeing Breras and thinking "there's nothing out there as beautiful as that".

It's true that everything on the Spider worked OK, other than the roof. And it's certainly comfortable over long distances (new style seats). And the Brera has no folding roof to go wrong and a bigger boot so could cope as our only car.

Is this crazy talk? How possible is it that a Brera won't go wrong?? I'm not sure I could face having anything to do with Alfa dealers or ARUK again.

Just wanted to post this to explain why I'm back, and why there might be posts asking about Breras, given my history! And looking for reassurance that it might be possible to buy a Brera and have nothing go wrong...
Sponsored Links
Get the Brera.
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
I'm getting one on Saturday
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Go for it! Chances are you'll be fine. Brera IS the nicest coupe out there
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Get one!

Even after your experience with the Spider, all your reasoning is leading you, inexorably, back to the Alfa garage.

Resistance is futile.

(plus Audi A5's aren't exactly paragons of reliability)
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
You know you want to.....

Last edited by BeggarsBanquet; 24-08-10 at 11:17.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Get the Brera I've had no problems in over a year and it still turns heads!
Build quality seems pretty solid.
No issues with mine either, only had to top up the windscreen washer fluid and fuel tank over the last 8 months. Stunning car, and suprisingly practical when it needs to be with the split seats, as long as you don't need to seat four.
go for it, you know you want to
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 30-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks everyone - I guess this forum is another plus for braving another Alfa!
In particular, thanks to BB for the detail and reassurance, exactly what I wanted to hear!!
I have a feeling we already know which way this is headed ;-)

@RSK: will probably buy new, given our lack of confidence probably best if it's under warranty for a bit; most likely go for the new 1750 engine; and as to the supplying dealer - that's the big question... We bought the Spider from HROwen and it was a truly terrible experience (their service side was good though), and subsequently had much more experience of AR dealers than we'd like - not much of it positive. In fact that's the major concern about getting a Brera. Had thought about maybe Desira in Norwich; although we're in south London we have family out that way and as I recall someone here recommended them to me a while back. Any other recommendations very welcome!

@SR: enjoy!
AO Silver Member
Very reliable cars, particularly with the JTS engines. Very practical for a 2+2, boot is immense, Labrador sits comforably on back seat (though i recommend using a seat cover!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider