159 Multifunction display not displaying correct info - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 22-03-10 Thread Starter
Status: -
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 6
Thumbs Up 159 Multifunction display not displaying correct info

I've a 2009 159 1.9 JTDM TI (in Rosso - what else?) .
I love it, and I've done 30,000 miles in the 12 months that I've owned it.
Two weeks ago while sitting on my drive (in the car), I called my dealer to arrange a mid-service oil-change using the BlueMe link to my mobile. Before I got through, the Bluetooth link to my phone appeared to have disappeared. So I picked up the phone and found that the link was still there. Just then my dealer came through via the car speaker and I made the appointment for a couple of weeks hence. When I drove off I noticed that the usual connection to my media player (iPod) had disconnected and was showing 'Tuner'. I pressed the cd button but the radio display responded with 'No Source Available'. Removing and reinserting the USB had no effect. When I got back in the car the radio showed 'Media Player' and proceeded to play from my iPod. However the tracks were not displayed in the Multifunction display when they changed or were paused by travel news interruptions. Also the link to my phone wasn't displaying even though the phone was linked. The inability to find my iPod continued off and on for the next couple of weeks, sometimes there and sometimes not, but never showed the track playing even if it could find the iPod.
When the car went in for the oil change, the dealer "put it on the computer" and announced when I went to pick it up that "he couldn't find anything wrong" and that I could always take it to another dealer for a second opinion if I wasn't happy. To say the last I felt a bit 'cast off'.
However I'd got it booked in for the following Saturday to have the tyres swapped front/rear (yeh, too much inside edge wear on the front!) so ploughed through the manuals and the AlfaOwner Forums looking for an answer.
Tucked away in some Multifunction threads were odd symptoms (none of which replicated mine) that were cured by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.
On the Saturday I showed my dealer how the display menu did not respond to the wheel mounted buttons in the way that the manual said it should. This time he agreed that there was a fault.
I said that the advice was to disconnect and reconnect the battery. His eyebrows hit the roof and he was a trifle disdainful (to say the least!) but agreed to try it when the car was in the workshop. To my delight (and smug-faced glee), when he emerged from the car after the road test he pronounced it cured and so it was.

Apologies for the verbosity but it was quite an involved set of symptons albeit a simple cure.

So, it's a big thank-you to all the 'posters' who advised the battery solution.
It certainly cured my problems, well not all - I've still got a dodgy knee and a large overdraft but hey-ho at least my beloved Alfa is back to normal.

cheekybee is offline  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , correct , display , displaying , info , multifunction

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome