Windscreen or dashboard rattle - detailed fix with pictures - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Porto
Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
Came across Vesku's fix for the infamous 159/Brera dashboard rattle, and thought I would have a go.

This has completely cured the rattle / resonance noise I have been having since day one. I know others advise silicone lube on the rubbers, but this solution permanently eliminates the root cause of the problem; namely the windscreen trim holding clips resonating through to the dash. So thankyou Vesku !

Took a few pics along the way, hope this helps other owners out and encourage them to have a go themselves.

Tools required - Flat bladed screwdriver, torx type socket set, 14mm (I think) socket to remove wiper arms, textile/gaffa tape, silicon sealant.

Step One - Loosen (dont remove) corner trims

Remove torx screws securing corner trim pieces (Do not try and remove the trims - you will break them, just leave in situ)

Attachment 88511

Step Two - Remove wiper arms

Remove windscreen wiper arms, pop off the rubber caps covering securing nuts with a flat screwdriver, undo nuts, there will be thin washer which is easy to lose. When pulling arms off their hubs push the arms flat towards the windscreen which will allow you to slide them off easily.

Step Three - Remove large engine bay / windscreen trim

There a 5 plastic snap fixings, these can be gently levered off with a large bladed screwdriver.

Attachment 88512

Once these are free' work the corner pieces free (loosened in step one), you should then be able to slide out the large black plastic trim cover. This is in two pieces secured by a torx screw in the middle,

Attachment 88513

but there is no need to separate them. On the back of the trim piece are the offending clips

Attachment 88514

Step 4 - Apply silicone sealant to clips

Following Vesku's advice, I applied silicone to the clips where they meet the black plastic trim.

Attachment 88515

Step 5 - Apply tape to windscreen

If you are lucky you will see where the clips have made an impression on windscreen dirt, clean this off and I used a small piece of gaffa tape (2 layers) to 'insulate' the windscreen against where the plastic clips make contact

Attachment 88516

Reassembly is the reverse of the above, take care when relocating corner trims. It was easy enough for me to do.

Check wiper position, I initially set mine a little too high ..

Enjoy the silence !

Sorry my English, but iŽll try to do my best (Portugal).

I canŽt understand the part where you put silicone to the clips... the clips hold on to the windshield, correct? So the silicon is supposed to "connect" to the gaffa tape?

Thanks for clearing this issue

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Porto
Just done this today and i can just say: Thank you!

I was a bit afraid at first, but iŽve found your details and your steps very easy to follow! 20m and this is past!

Thanks again!
AO Member
I dont know if its the same issue, the garage here in Cyprus told me that some pins/magnets that hold the windscreen are not removed when placed by the AR factory. Anyway the way I fixed it is to pull up a bit the rubber that is all around the windscreen put the nozzle of a WD40 oil in and spray a bit, only at the bottom level of the windscreen - After that the noise is gone !
County: Klaipeda
Thanks for the detailed instruction, but I'm stuck with the wiper arms. Can't get them off, tried pressing them towards the windscreen, but they're firmly stuck on their hubs. Put some WD40 and let it soak for a week or so, no effect.
Anybody got a tip how to get them off without breaking anything in the process?
AO Member
County: Victoria
+1 for this fix! Spent a couple of hours yesterday following COs directions (and cleaning the cavity under the plastic trim which was filthy with leaf matter et al). Seems to have resolved the rattle... for now!
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
And I did this today. It wasn't clear that the clips locate on the underside of the glass (forming a U shape with the trim so that the glass is squeezed between clip and trim).

Therefore the Gaffer Tape has to be lipped under the glass.

On mine the 'Windscreen Mechanic' had messed up the corner screws and the centre screw. The corner screws were spreading the spring clip rather than tightening it (because he had put them in at the wrong angle). In the centre the two halves were not properly aligned so the screw missed the captive nut. When repairing the centre I found a little pressure applied downwards cured the alignment so the screw went straight in. Both repairs have improved the tightness but I still did the clip modification.

I'll check tomorrow whether it's improved.
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
just had my windscreen replaced and now i have a rattle, so im going to try this next week
AO Member
County: -
This method helped for me, but not entirely.
After taking off the windscreen trim and spraying silicone lube on each clip, then re seating the windscreen trim and making sure everything was placed correctly that the loudest part of the sound it was making was gone. However it still made a minor rattle noise, so i removed the windscreen trim again and noticed that some of the clip holders had actually bent and or snapped causing the clips to have some play and rattle around more.

Another thing I found mostly useful was to remove any clips that were very loose, and put some foam sticky pads on each of the remaining clips so it has something to dampen the sound of the clips tapping the bottom of the windscreen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41iCto-Sd8L._SY300_.jpg (9.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Jess159; 28-03-16 at 10:03.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

dashboard , detailed , fix , pictures , rattle , windscreen