OEM Replacement battery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159

OEM Replacement battery

Hi folks, first post for a long time, which I guess is a good thing as it means there's not much to moan about on the car....

Does anyone know where, other than AR, I can get a replacement battery for my 159 2.2 JTS Sportwagon that has the same frame size as the original?

All my local factors keep trying to supply a replacement with a lower Amp Hour rating and a smaller frame, as do any online supplier I've tried.

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Phone up a battery supplier, like advanced battery supplies on 0800 195 98 97, give them the dimensions and spec and they will find you one no problem at all, I have used them a few times.

If the data given by the battery manufacturers is wrong, everyone will offer the wrong battery against the model!
AO Member
That's exactly what I'm finding!Even the E44 Varta Silver for the 3.2 Q4 is not as long as the O.E. Exide on my 4 year old 2.2 and only has 77Amps against 90Amps.Most replacement searches seem to give a size the same as a 147 with 63Amps.My handbook says the battery might be 60,70 or 90 Amps but no indication of engine size.I've tried a Halfords D15 that I have as a spare and it just slid around in the battery tray because the strap was too large!The Velcro insulation jacket is too large for the smaller battery as well.
I also discovered that to remove the battery strap the 13mm nut is in danger of dropping down onto the undertray,so I filled the socket with Blu-Tak so I didn't get myself into an undertray removal situation!
At the moment my Exide is left in-car,charging on a Halfords' battery conditioner in the garage so isn't letting me down yet.If it was left outside with the alarm on it would drop below 12V in a few days,hence I need a replacement.
Let us know if you find a solution to this problem.
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Got a replacement one fitted by Halfords - good amps and reasonable price plus 5 yr guarantee

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

battery , oem , replacement