159 1750 TBi Economy - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 TBi Ti

you must roll pretty fast!

Did you see the quoted figure for the Guilietta Cloverleaf with 230 BHP 1750 TBi engine - 37.2 MPG combined!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
[QUOTE=Senocular;3300855]Those figures match my findings.

Indentical to mine also.
AO Silver Member

County: -
I think Mangoletsi claims to having tuned a TBI 200 to 235 BHP with about 3 miles increase in mpg.

County: Stirling

Member car:

Alfa GT

159 SW 1750 TBi 30.2 mpg

Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon 1750 TBi Elegante | New Car Review | MotorBar

Hope it's true, aabout the same as my GT 2.0 JTS and I'm thinking of changing to a SW.

(05 GT for sale all bells and whistles 46k/6k)
Nev

Mine's showing 9.3 l/100km after 800km of combined 110,130-157kph motorway
(including an hour in heavy stop-start crawling traffic) and ~ 100km of spirited overtaking
D-road blatting.

Most economical of the 3 Alfas I've owned.

Don't really care about the consumption, just the increased range it gives.

AO Silver Member

Today I did 150 km in similar traffic: 9.7/100 km (29.1 mpg)
If it will land around 10/100 Im totally happy. What a ride!
AO Silver Member

Update.........................

Experimented with lightfoot, cruise (at 75mph) and leaving it in 4th or above for as much as poss........result...29.3mpg over 300miles combined............oh, and a resolution never to pull that stunt again............back to hammering it!
AO Silver Member

Im new to turbo and noticed that when driving in the "right" gear the turbo pressure is more even and lower. For instance: When driving 70 kmph in 6th gear (1800 rpm) the turbo kicks in much more than when going as fast in 5th gear (2100 rpm). Actually both more economic and more fun (it seems).

To me its ok to cruise evenly at high speeds. The entertaining part is driving in lower gears.
AO Silver Member

Update 2...........

Ok, went back to experimenting with the TBi (with the 240bhp Mango Mod) 150 mile round trip, mainly motorway work - cruise set to a tad under 80mph...................36mpg - blimey!
So it can be acheived..........but to be honest, anoraks really don't suit me, so pedal-to-the-metal and back to the familiar 23mpg.

What is it about Alfas that somehow manages to anesthetize the rational mind?
AO Member

County: West Midlands
In summary after 2 weeks of ownership I don't think TBi economy is any better than the 2.2JTS.

I'm struggling for reasons why they introduced it into the 159 as the road tax savings are hardly worth it IMHO

Performance is better though; you don't have to boot it as much as the 2.2
AO Member

County: Devon
I'm comparing Breras rather than the 159, but my 2.2 JTS returned 28mpg (measured over 2,000 miles) from my typical driving conditions and my 1750 TBi is a tad over 30mpg over a similar measurement distance.

I drive on cruise control at 70 mph on motorways and uninspiring A roads (like the A30 hereabouts) but really indulge myself in speed on country roads.

I didn't mod the 2.2. The 1750 is a far better engine to me, lots of torque, really responsive and beautifully smooth. I'd hoped to get a bit better consumption out of it, but the other advantages are myriad.

I believe what doesn't kill you makes you...stranger.
AO Silver Member

What wheels and tyres do they use when they test the official consumption?
My Brera leaped from a steady 24-25 mpg on 235/40/19 Pirellis to straight 30 on 225/45/18 Nokians. Put some 195/70/15 on the Brera and one will probably get decent figures!

Last edited by steffoo; 09-01-11 at 00:54.

County: Berkshire
Scary, that I was thinking of a 1750. But you get better economy out of a 1999 Bmw 330i.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaChiara View Post
Scary, that I was thinking of a 1750. But you get better economy out of a 1999 Bmw 330i.
You may have a point but I'd rather drive a stylish Italian car!!
AO Member

County: Jihomoravský

Member car:

159 1750 TBi

I am about to buy a 159 with the 1750 TBi engine and I am curious what engine speed do you keep when just slowly cruising in a city, let's say 30-40 mph? With 4 cylinder engines, I was always used to keep the engine speed above 2000 rpm at all times. The 1750 TBi engine has maximum torque at as low as 1400 rpm, does it mean that I can cruise normally at 1400 rpm and it will be OK for the engine? For a common 4 cylinder engine, this would seem too low speed to me.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrv View Post
I am about to buy a 159 with the 1750 TBi engine and I am curious what engine speed do you keep when just slowly cruising in a city, let's say 30-40 mph? With 4 cylinder engines, I was always used to keep the engine speed above 2000 rpm at all times. The 1750 TBi engine has maximum torque at as low as 1400 rpm, does it mean that I can cruise normally at 1400 rpm and it will be OK for the engine? For a common 4 cylinder engine, this would seem too low speed to me.
In my experience it is difficult to drive in higher than 4th/5th gear around town and when you get to 40mph it's into 5th/6th.

It is quite a bit different to the 2.2JTS I had as the 1750TBi is higher geared and definitely quicker/quieter but probably not quite as flexible when the revs are really low (below 1500rpm) as you have to wait for the turbo to pick up and do its work but, again, that is probably down to the higher gearing.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage

Member car:

2017 Giulietta

Agree entirely with the last post.
6th is for 40+ MPH, 5th just about okay down to 30 MPH but probably not for uphill.
Town/city work will be 1st to 4th generally.
AO Silver Member

Wow the gearing is quite different from the 2.2 then. In town traffic I move into 6th gear at around 24 mph. 3rd and 5th gear are almost never used, even on the motorway.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderfish View Post
Wow the gearing is quite different from the 2.2 then.
Loads different; dare I say like a diesel

I can't believe I said that
AO Member

My 159 2.2 JTS when driven sensibly will average 30mpg comfortable on my mix of urban/motorway run to work everyday, if I hypermile it will squeeze out 33mpg+ on the same run. However, if I drive it in a sporty manner the consumption will drop to 25/26mpg. I have to say the 2.2 JTS is a super engine, it revs really freely, no belt issues, no variator issue, uses no oil between services and plenty of power always on tap. The JTS reponds really well to annual oil changes and Mobil 1 oil. It does'nt sound as good as my old Twin Spark but requires less maintainence and tlc. Havnt driven a 1750 Tbi but the figures on paper look very impressive.
AO Member

County: Lancashire
I managed 40mpg out of my 1750 tbi on a 150 motorway trip by sticking to Lane 1 and 2 as I was hoping to get home on the remainder of my tank. I didnt want to pay motorway fuel prices. I eventually gave up, filled up and drove like a "normal Alfa driver" on the last 50 miles.

I have driven 18,000 miles so far and as I log my mileage for work, I make a note of of my monthly average (Trip A) and 30.9 is the average monthly mpg since new.

I would like to get mid 30's especially with the high mileage I do and I think I'll be going back to diesel next time.

With my last 159 1.9 SW, I managed a monthly average of 39mpg and drove the thing hard (89mph on cruise-m/way). If I drove my TBI the same way as my old one, I'd be hitting the mid 20's so although the the TBI is faster...I'm driving it slower
AO Member

Economy of the TBi is pretty average but what can you do?

I wince every time I fill the tank up since the latest tax rises so I've started to put in just over half a tank.

Do you think Alfa might introduce a hybrid?

The new Peugeot 508 diesel hybrid might be looking good in about 18 months time if fuel doesn't stop going up!
AO Silver Member

Id say they HAVE TO introduce a hybrid. Certainly, my next (new) car will not be a petrol/diesel one. Tesla? :-)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffoo View Post
Tesla? :-)
But have you seen the proposed cost of the Tesla S saloon? $57000. I make that around 38000

A bit Aston Martin Rapide looking wouldn't you say?

Model S Image Gallery | Tesla Motors

Very nice!
AO Silver Member

It' abot the same as a brera 3.2 italia independent. And 7 seats! (which puts me off).

How about this
www.lightningcarcompany.co.uk

Aston look and price. But 700 bhp!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 1750 , economy , tbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page