159 1750 TBi Economy - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

County: West Lothian
Garage
Approaching 4000 miles on the clock now - yes, in under 2 months, . First week or so saw no better than 22mpg average but I'm now consistently returning 29 - 30mpg with 35 -36 achievable on a longer motorway cruise. About the same then as the 2.4JTDm that it replaced and better than the previous 2.5 V6 so no complaints from me, . Just got to learn to slow down a bit now as all the high-speed runs are stripping off the paint, - sorry, different thread, .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Member car:

Choosing new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
Approaching 4000 miles on the clock now - yes, in under 2 months, . First week or so saw no better than 22mpg average but I'm now consistently returning 29 - 30mpg with 35 -36 achievable on a longer motorway cruise. About the same then as the 2.4JTDm that it replaced and better than the previous 2.5 V6 so no complaints from me, . Just got to learn to slow down a bit now as all the high-speed runs are stripping off the paint, - sorry, different thread, .

Congratulations! How often do they let you out? From a convent I mean.

Edit: Sorry, stupid pun. No offence meant. You achieved exact figures I would expect from TBi basing on official figures. So perhaps engine could prove more fuel efficient than the old ones.

Last edited by Gbain; 29-04-10 at 20:15.
AO Member

County: Vaud
I have done 2,500 km with my new Brera and I have an average of 9.2 lt/100 km (90% of my driving takes place in motorway). I'm pretty dissapointed, because I was having 9.3 lt/100 km with my GT 3.2 V6. I was expecting that I would save some petrol with this smaller engine (considering that I drive 150 km per day to go to work and back that would have been a plus).

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage

Member car:

2017 Giulietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfotopou View Post
I have done 2,500 km with my new Brera and I have an average of 9.2 lt/100 km (90% of my driving takes place in motorway). I'm pretty dissapointed, because I was having 9.3 lt/100 km with my GT 3.2 V6. I was expecting that I would save some petrol with this smaller engine (considering that I drive 150 km per day to go to work and back that would have been a plus).
I'm afraid the degree of lying/ cheating/ or setting up of the engine purely for the test and not the real world, seems to have been greater with the TBi than with any previous Alfa.
Even the most saintly of driving on dual carriageways, with the engine showing 4000 miles, is giving me 32 MPG. With a combined figure of 34.9, this style of driving should be giving 42 not 32!
If I drive in a normal fashion I get 27-28, and in a spirited fashion 23-24. As you say, a V6 is at least as efficient, if not better.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfotopou View Post
I was having 9.3 lt/100 km with my GT 3.2 V6.

That's interesting in a OMG kind of way. My 159 V6 with a (lets call it) gentler engine than your GT will have had is struggling to do better than 14l/100 in what is probably 80% motorway driving
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Over the first month & 2400 miles my new 3.2 Q4 Brera managed 21.4mpg average. Best was 26.7mpg on a trip to York, worst was 4.2mpg during the 2 miles from Brooklands Tesco to Brooklands on Saturday
AO Member

County: Vaud
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberesque View Post
That's interesting in a OMG kind of way. My 159 V6 with a (lets call it) gentler engine than your GT will have had is struggling to do better than 14l/100 in what is probably 80% motorway driving
I was trying to drive it very smoothly, since I do more than 35,000 km per year. And as I said the driving was done almost exclusively on motorways. And you know in switzerland you can't take risks and drive with speeds much higher than the speed limit (120 km/h). Speed cameras are mobile and hidden and they can be anywhere and if you go with more than 30 km over the speed limit on a motorway they take away your driving licence!
AO Member

blimey, those crazy swiss

I'll remember that next time I'm in switzerland though, sure to be there this summer or next. In Belgium they're less ... erm ... stringent. Recently they had a big "enforcement day" where they sent out loads of motorbike cops and speed cameras to chase down speeding miscreants. I saw a line of about 8 of them behind a bush on the north bound E19 (Brussels - Antwerp) . Funny thing is, in evening rush hour that carriage way is *always* one big carpark, Southbound on the other hand, we were zipping along without a care!

I know the mileage on my car is something I need to accept but it's tough coming from a diesel where you can push 700km between fills to a petrol where you need to be looking for a station after 400. I wish they'd omitted the petrol use computer software from the V6, it's upsetting yet compulsive
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidod View Post
What sort of economy are people seeing from the 1750 TBi engine...?

I have covered 500 miles in my 159 1750 TBi Ti Saloon so far... and have yet to see the Average MPG go above 25 mpg...

This is a combination of town and motorway driving... (around town only it drops to around 20 mpg...)

I saw 28 mpg when I had my BMW 325i SE Coupe... so was expecting at least the same.

I understand that the car's new... so maybe it'll improve... but wondered what other people were seeing...?
I've been driving my new 1750 SW over the last 2-3 weeks and have managed 31mpg average over 1800 miles. I have to say this is mostly motorway but even so having read the emails relating to the 1750's thirst, I did have "mpg" concerns prior to picking it up.

I am driving "quite" sensibly but still keeping up with 3rd lane traffic and averaging 75/85mph, but not burning off from traffic lights.

I do put my foot down every now again and love the pull compared with my old 1.9

I may not go back to diesel (but that may be a bit too early to say...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mpg.jpg (65.1 KB, 23 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Just over 1k on mine now and the mpg is on the up

27 to the gallon now.

Better than the 2.2 i had

Garage
On my recent round-trip to Milan, which included everything from high-speed motorway thrashes to multi-hairpin mountain passes, mine returned an average 31.7mpg over the 3986 miles covered. That's me put over 10k miles on the clock in 4 1/2 months and the engine now seems well loosened-off. Back to the daily mixed-driving commute, things seem to have levelled off around the 33mpg mark which I find quite acceptable, , considering I use the available performance at every opportunity, .
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
On my recent round-trip to Milan, which included everything from high-speed motorway thrashes to multi-hairpin mountain passes, mine returned an average 31.7mpg over the 3986 miles covered. That's me put over 10k miles on the clock in 4 1/2 months and the engine now seems well loosened-off. Back to the daily mixed-driving commute, things seem to have levelled off around the 33mpg mark which I find quite acceptable, , considering I use the available performance at every opportunity, .
Nice drive RRz; I drove to Venice 3 years ago but would love to do that drive in the Alfa!! Driving through the Alps with Matt Munro playing through the BOSE and getting over 30mpg!!!
AO Member

County: Lorraine

Member car:

159 tbi sport

Mine is now near 2000 kms and i am very glad of the consumption : 10.6l/100 with 600km motorway (7.1l/100 sometimes during 200km) and 1200 km Town.
Since one week, i see the consumption going down clearly.
AO Silver Member

County: -
My GT 2.0 averages 9.4 l/km (30 mpg). 1/3 town, 2/3 motorway. Pretty heavy foot. Thatīs for 165 BHP and 207 g/km.

When I get 200 BHP and 189 g/km Iīll be more than happy if I get the same numbers in return, but will accept considerably less.
AO Silver Member

11.6 l/km (25 mpg) in the first 400 km. Lots of 160 kmph autobahn and town. I still believe in a bright future 0.9-1 l/km.
Nev

If you keep in below 110kph it easily gives <10 l /100km in sixth.
(110kph speed limit here now. )

I get bored though.

AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
If you keep in below 110kph it easily gives <10 l /100km in sixth.
(110kph speed limit here now. )

I get bored though.

That's very true. There are a couple of single carriageway A roads with long, flat runs near me (UK speed limit on these is 60 mph/95 kph) and I'll get around 38-40 mpg (7.4 to 7.1 l/100km) in 6th - if I don't fall asleep.
AO Member

County: Lorraine

Member car:

159 tbi sport

The good thing for me is that the consumption is not so big at 160/200 km/h (????? Mph) : i get easyly 12 or 13l/100 !!!
That is less than in some Town roads.
AO Silver Member

I've got 2400miles on the clock and 22.3mpg in the little window above........

....just a thought, wonder if the onboard fuel flow meter is to blame - anyone done a few brim-to-brim mileage checks as a comparison?...
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 TBi Ti

Picked up my TBi on friday and am averaging 27.3 mpg thus far.... I'm driving pretty conservatively tho to give her a chance to break in! Hoping that 32 mpg would be achievable once she has a few miles on the clock
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona675 View Post
Picked up my TBi on friday and am averaging 27.3 mpg thus far.... I'm driving pretty conservatively tho to give her a chance to break in! Hoping that 32 mpg would be achievable once she has a few miles on the clock
I doubt you will get 32 mpg
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

VW Touareg

you must be "driving miss daisy" to get 27.3 if mine's anything to go by!

Garage
I recorded an average of 7.8 mpg, , the other day but as it was at a Cloverleaf Club Track Day I don't suppose it's of any relevance here whatsoever, . Best use of 50 litres of V-Power I've made in a fair while though, .
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 TBi Ti

... in my defence i'm used to running in engines for the first 600 miles, so have taken it pretty easy... damn trip computer is compulsive tho I'm loving the smooth pull and comfortable ride. Even with the 19" wheels and sports suspension it's more comfortable than my old BMW320d with runflats. My obession with fuel consumption is obviously a hangover from having had a diesel previously... hopefully it will wear off when I get used to pressing to the metal!

On a sidenote I have noticed that while the car has a black interior the plastic surround for the passenger seatbelt, where it emerges from the B pillar, is Tan in colour, even though the Driver's side is black.... must have run out of black ones!! Typical Italian solution I guess....

Also the 4 screws holding the neck of the fuel filler pipe to the body were all loose.... I have tightened them now, but quality control could be improved!!
AO Silver Member

Iīm down to 25 mpg (1.13 l/km) at 1200 km. 1/3 city rest motorway. Medio revvy driving (thatīs how I roll).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 1750 , economy , tbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page