159 1750 TBi Economy - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #26 of 163 Old 18-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
It is just as well that the engine is so flexible... otherwise it would be a nightmare...

Although... there is no point putting MPG figures in brochures when they can be out by so much...

If they said the car had 19" alloys... and it rolled up with 18" wheels... they wouldn't be allowed to print the brochures like that. So why does it apply to MPG...?

I know they are supposed to follow the same 'scientific' test as all the other manufacturers... but, still...

They should just grade the cars A-B-C-D-E-F... like they do with fridges... and forget the actual figures... as they are misleading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ukmike2008

Thats the whole point - the test IS standardised to give comparable results.

If you read the long-term test reports in magazines such as Autocar/Autoexpress etc you will notice that they never achieve the manufacturers figures in real life.

(Post Link) post #28 of 163 Old 18-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
That's fair enough...

But when Alfa put statements in the brochures like:

"Even more power. Even better fuel consumption."

and

"Engine development never stops at Alfa Romeo and today’s engines offer better than ever performance in terms of power and consumption."

Then they go on to talk about the new 1750 TBi engine... it does give potentail customers a certain impression...

And, from a personal point of view... it is not the impression that the engine will struggle to average 25 MPG.

Bearing in mind... as someone above has already mentioned when talking about their 3.2l BMW M3... there are a lot of older engines, with bigger capacities and the same, or more, power... that match or beat the 1750 TBi engine's economy figures.

I know that to be true... as I had one...

It isn't the end of the world... just disappointing. And a shame, when other manufacturers are getting great performance AND economy from smaller capacity turbo-charged engines...

AO Silver Member

It seems that all the manufacturers are banging on about their newer models being super efficient but few ever seem to get close to claimed figures - Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, Alfa, whoever. Seems older cars have more accurate ratings.

It's like school exam results, kids aren't getting more intellligent, they're simply getting better at passing exams!

Sorry to bring up politics, but this just so happens to be an all-pervasive symptom of the current UK administration, things don't necessarily get any better but they always manage to measure things in a way that looks good!

Could this have anything to do with tripling the spend on spin merchants since the last lot were in power?!

Brat Pack no.8
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
I now have a Scirocco and my wife has a Golf, we can both achieve the figures for the combined cycle put out by VW.
I did have a BMW before the Brera and I could never get the BMW claimed figures but the VW's we can meet quite easily.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Sod the economy! Drive it like you stole it & enjoy it
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

not all about the engine though, more about the car & transmission it's bolted on to
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidod View Post
I have covered 500 miles in my 159 1750 TBi Ti Saloon so far... and have yet to see the Average MPG go above 25 mpg...

This is a combination of town and motorway driving... (around town only it drops to around 20 mpg...)
Sell it and buy a V6
I get an average of 23mpg and thats spirited driving. In fact on an hour long cross country dash (very quick dash as I was running late for a meeting) I still topped 21mpg.

I used to average 27.5 mpg in my 2.2 JTS so would not be pleased about getting less with a smaller engine.

I totally agree with fidod, when is someone going to have the car makers in court over the totally made up fuel consumption figures. When I looked at the figures for the V6 I took the avergae and knocked almost 20% for a realistic figure

What goes around usually gets dizzy and falls over.
AO Platinum Member

County: Berkshire
If you look at the shape of the 159/Brera/Spider you can see immediately why the economy is so poor. It has sod all to do with the engines and everything to do with the ****ing huge airscoops we like to call "headlamp recesses".

The engine could be as economic as you like, but if you are pushing a wall of air in front of you, your figures are going to be awful.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Dad View Post
If you look at the shape of the 159/Brera/Spider you can see immediately why the economy is so poor. It has sod all to do with the engines and everything to do with the ****ing huge airscoops we like to call "headlamp recesses".

The engine could be as economic as you like, but if you are pushing a wall of air in front of you, your figures are going to be awful.
It looks good though
AO Platinum Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfletcher159 View Post
It looks good though
It does. That's why I have two. And why I don't care that I only get 30ish mpg from them
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..dan.. View Post
Funny you say that, I could get 30mpg on my GT V6 3.2 when I did a long motorway run, at motorway speeds!
nice! I hope I can manage the same, I've just about closed a deal on a 2 yr old 3.2 myself, considered a new 1750 for added fuel economy but the waiting time for a new one is somewhat indeterminate here (Belgium)

don't really expect to do much better than 12l/100km though tbh
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159 Ti 2.0 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberesque View Post
nice! I hope I can manage the same, I've just about closed a deal on a 2 yr old 3.2 myself, considered a new 1750 for added fuel economy but the waiting time for a new one is somewhat indeterminate here (Belgium)

don't really expect to do much better than 12l/100km though tbh
When you have a 3.2 you know theres no point worrying about fuel economy as usually there is none! Still its worth it

But its annoying when you are told an engine will be economical and it turns out that its not as good as you were lead to believe
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Appreciate that these are new engines/car, but has anyone ran of these engines for say >10k miles? Any evidence that these MPG figures get any better as the miles increase?

I think Alfa really need to improve their fuel economy figures especially as fuel is so expensive now.

For reference: Mate of mine gets high 30's on a run out of his A3 1.8 turbo, granted its a lighter car than the 159though
AO Member

County: Kent

Member car:

159 2.0 jdtm Ti

just to give you an idea. done a little test yesterday. On the A2 for 11 miles never went over 60 or under 50, 6th gear and was watching the turbo gauge like a hawk to keep it as low as possible. result.......... 30.9 mpg.

car has done 3000 miles now. My old 56 plate Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel would do 35-40mpg when driving it like i was on fire.

not the best result for Alfa.
AO Platinum Member

The 320d M Sport auto I had for 6 weeks at the end of 2007 would return 40mpg even when driven full throttle everywhere. Horrid car though and not a patch on the 159 (cupholders not withstanding).

My 2.2 go considerably more economic (and powerful) as the miles piles on with significant improvements at 5 & 10 k miles

I can now easily exceed 30mpg if I take it easy and get c34mpg on 200+ mile return trips to Croydon.

Driven normally (hard but not thrashed), it gives c24mpg. Happy with that, especially post mod 4
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 jdtm Ti

I can now easily exceed 30mpg if I take it easy and get c34mpg on 200+ mile return trips to Croydon.

your getting what i get but from a larger engine and petrol.

never mind, still best looking car for the money.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaPauly View Post

your getting what i get but from a larger engine and petrol.

never mind, still best looking car for the money.
My car is a 2.2 petrol
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 jdtm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
My car is a 2.2 petrol
I know. Mine is a 2.0 diesel. lol
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159ti/GTV 2.0 ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaPauly View Post
just to give you an idea. done a little test yesterday. On the A2 for 11 miles never went over 60 or under 50, 6th gear and was watching the turbo gauge like a hawk to keep it as low as possible. result.......... 30.9 mpg.

car has done 3000 miles now. My old 56 plate Honda Accord 2.2 Diesel would do 35-40mpg when driving it like i was on fire.

not the best result for Alfa.
Strange, I took a 2.0jtd for a test drive last week granted it was only a 30 mile round trip @ 70mph average but the trip computer did say 34.8 for the whole journey and the expected range was over 600 miles (we filled it up at the start of the test drive) - this had not moved by the time I had finished
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.0 jdtm Ti

cheers for the insight gtvscott. i did mention it to the dealership when it went back for a couple of little things. he just said it adapts to your driving style. i do kind of understand that but then why dont it adapt when your taking it easy. lol.

i still get the range up to 600-650 miles but as soon as you put your foot down for a second this drops rapidly and then the Avg Mpg drops to low 20's
AO Member

County: Hampshire
That's very strange. I am getting 8 to 10mpg better than you with a 2.0JTDm and I can ssure you that I am not driving in 6th at 60mph.

What range do you get out of a full tank - I seem to be getting about 580 to 590 miles out of mine? Comes to about 42mpg but in fairness most of my driving is on motorways.

I did get 46mpg out of mine but that was 90 motorway miles and half of them at the new 50mph motorway speed limit that appears to be slowly imposed on the whole of the northern M3!

I reckon there must be something wrong with your car and dan's car.

County: Galati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione View Post
Appreciate that these are new engines/car, but has anyone ran of these engines for say >10k miles? Any evidence that these MPG figures get any better as the miles increase?
Well, mine has already 13000 km and the average consumption is 11l/100km...
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post

Driven normally (hard but not thrashed), it gives c24mpg. Happy with that, especially post mod 4

Those figures match my findings.

I've always taken official consumption figures with a warehouse of salt, but I do look at the combined figure for one reason. In nearly all the cars I've had, the combined figure is what I can reasonably expect on the motorway at about 80mph. Always seems to be there or thereabouts.
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscione View Post
My last 2.2 had done 85k when I swapped it and the mpg was the same as the day I bought it. Everything felt just as solid, no rattles or creaks which I think speaks volumes for Alfas new build quality.

I tried a little experiment on the way back from Knaresborough today, set the cruise control to 82mph down the A1/A64 to York and tripped the B Computer and I averaged 26mpg. After the A64 I have another hour cross country and I kept the engine between 2500 and 3000 rpm (except for a few quick overtaking moves) and by the time I got home the average was 25.8mpg which is only a couple of mpg less then my 2.2 used to do.

Sell your TBi and enjoy the sound and feel of the V6

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , 1750 , economy , tbi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page