Brera 2.2 JTS - my first 1000 miles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Brera 2.2 JTS - my first 1000 miles

I have just part-ex'd my Mito 155 Veloce for a 1 owner, 56 plate Brera 2.2 JTS in red with 40,000 miles on the clock. The Mito was my introduction to Alfa - it was a great wee car but I always hankered after the Brera, the right deal came along so I took it! Well actually, I took it after devouring as much information on here as possible - what a fantastic resource - thanks to all who have made my purchase less stressful and most definitely better informed.

The car came to me after having the bonnet resprayed due to the number of chips and had the timing chain replaced as it had stretched. The faded bonnet badge had been replaced. There were no steering rack problems (yet) and the tyre wear looked pretty even. It is an Alfa approved car which I hope to keep for 12-18 months max, so I'm hoping that the ownership experience will be as trouble-free as possible!

My findings so far in the first 1000 miles:

The car's economy is absolutely fine, given a constant throttle. At 75-80 mph over a few hundred miles on the M-way, I was achieving an easy 30-33 mpg. Coming on/off throttle, even without changing gear e.g. a twisty Scottish A-road, and the economy falls quite prodiguously. I'm very happy with what I achieved on the motorway. Of note, I did find that the aircon seemed to reduce the mpg by about 2mpg. A genuine finding? Not sure.

On the subject of the aircon - it stinks! Smells very musty and gross so will need to get that cleaned and have some antifungal/antibacterial stuff run through the system.

Build quality seems great. No creaks or rattles at all. No excessive wind noise or similar issues. Paintwork in good nick, though I have definitely picked up quite a few chips already on the front of the rear wheel arches. Grrr....

Interior was OK, but a quick - and light - rub down with a Magic eraser type sponge on the steering wheel, seats, gear knob/gaiter and various bits of trim....WOW! Highly recommended, what a massive difference. Leather is clean and looks matt again, no more shininess. Thanks RochesterAlfa!

Hesitation. It is definitely there, without a doubt. I don't think it's a major issue as I seem to drive around it, but I have been caught out once or twice. Not quite kangarooing as others have described, but not 100% confident with it either. Mangos are my local dealer, so if it gets too much for me....

Performance is otherwise good enough. Much more willing to rev than a tighter 14,000 mile car I test drove and much more pleasant (less hesitation, too). It's not exactly fast but adequate for my needs. Sounds nice but could be rortier. There's always Mangos for that. (Hmm, noticing a pattern here )

Practicality. Bit of an issue with the kids on their booster seats getting feet stuck behind front seats but fine for occasional use with the family (me plus SWMBO + 2 kids aged 5 and 7). The Mito never had all four of us in at the same time, so no issues here as one kid can sit in the front and the other fits in comfortably behind. Looking into the Autosafe belt adjusters which may get rid of the need for the boosters altogether, but I need to research the legality and practicality of this. Other than that, I didn't buy it for its practicality and we we have an X5 as family transport , but it was a slight consideration, I'll admit

Looks. well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? I wasn't initially after a red one but it looks so striking in the flesh. The wife, after her usual, "You are NOT buying another car!" tirade (25+ in the last 10 years), came round to the idea of the Brera very quickly, after she saw it. In fact, she's in it now and I've taken the BMW to work. Methinks the plan may have backfired somewhat!

In a nutshell, I'm delighted and I think I bought this after due diligence so I'm hoping that I'll have a trouble-free ownership. Thanks for reading this far and once again, thank you to all the contributors to various threads, without whom I wouldn't have had the confidence to bite the bullet.

Last edited by Senocular; 15-03-10 at 11:43.
Sponsored Links

Another Brera convert.

Get the pollen filter on the A/C changed when you get it cleaned.

Running it on MAX heat, after the engine is fully warmed, with the windows
open during a good 1/2 hour run can help to cure smelling in the short term.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 15-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Thanks Nev!

I tried the above trick but no joy, unfortunately. So, I just kept it off, hence my suspected findings on the fuel economy.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

1000 , brera , economy , jts , leather , miles , practicality