Total Battery failure - beware - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 08-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset
Total Battery failure - beware

Hi Just for everyones information my 159 1.9 JTDM battery had a total failure today. Car had been stood for about 10 days and I told my wife to use it to charge the battery. Car started a little sluggishly she drove to work 1 mile away (20 miles round trip taking my Daughter to school) and parked the car. Came out to start the car and it went into a real hissy fit, called me straight away and I went to see it 10 minutes later. The key had been removed but a relay was clicking under the bonnet turning the ECU on and off continuously. I pulled the bonnet and disconnected the battery (luckily the 159 has a quick release on the negative terminal), after charging for 1 hour and putting jump leads on I attempted to restart the car and I ended up with every fault in the book coming up in the display including a scheduled service due!

I cannot get a pattern part that fits the thermal blanket (went to the local exhaust tyre and battery fitter) so I am currently stuck with an old battery from my shed! Anyone else managed to get a pattern part or is an OE fit the only option.

I am a little p***ed off that the battery had a failure after only 3.5 years is this normal!
Sponsored Links
Yup normal to see the batteries die after 2-3 years.

Yup jumping the car may cause all sorts of errors that need to be reset. (Gonna cost.)

Yup getting hold of a battery can take forever.

AO Platinum Member
County: -
A weak link indeed for the 159/Brera. As Nev says - bet on 3 years max life in the battery
If you're lucky a dealer might have one in stock but it will cost you.
Same on the 147 too.

See the other battery thread for my theories as to why we see this.

AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

alfa romeo 159

Mate, am sorry to hearing it, but you are not alone, join up the alfa's batteries moaners
Mine on a 57 plate went after 2 years. It wasn't covered under warranty (the dealer said) so I had to cough up 150 to them.
AO Member
My 3.2 failed after < 3 years. On lease but Kwik Fit sourced one next day. AA started me so I could drive there....
County: Oslo

Member car:

Battery failure after 3 years and 6 months

Same thing here.

The 159 startet to show a battery sign of on the dashboard yesterday. Today it stopped while driving (all sorts of warning lights were coming on), but since the car was going at around 70km/h it looked like the electronics "restarted" somehow and I was able to drive home. I could not start it again (there was very little current in the battery). It is now charging, but as I was driving while the power went out, it is probably the charging circuit/voltage regulator or some other electronic part which is the culprit.
AO Member
County: Durham

Member car:

Brera 2.2 SV

My battery on my 56 plate Brera went last Thursday, as above could hear the relay clicking and all sort of weird and wonderful light displays on the dash, the alarm going off, wing mirrors folding in and out.... Got the AA chap out and battery was knackered, charged it up to get the car started, straight to dealer and replaced for nowt, only had the car 2 weeks so pretty good service!
County: Oslo

Member car:

Short Update:
After having my 159 on service a couple of weeks ago, I was told it was the charger that was the culprit. I.e. no charging meaning that the battery had to supply the whole car (which it managed to do for like 20-30km before dying). Since it was 3.5 years old, no guarantee and I had to pay 1600 Euro for service + charger! Whoa, expensive.
The worst thing is that the right front steering is also damaged (it was a known problem on the 159 according to the mechanic), and it will cost another 1000 Euro to fix that!

The 159 is going to be sold this summer. No way I am going to keep such a new car with all this **** happening.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

My 7 year old 147 is still on its first battery although to be fair, it nearly died over the recent cold spell we had when the car was laid up. Gave it a good charge and it's still working.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Originally Posted by lovelyred159 View Post
My 7 year old 147 is still on its first battery although to be fair, it nearly died over the recent cold spell we had when the car was laid up. Gave it a good charge and it's still working.
+1 our 147 battery lasted 5 years of 4 mile daily commutes & kept outside permanently- not disappointed with that!
AO Member
County: Vaud
I have had three batteries in three years When the car is stood for 7 days without use (I travel a fair bit) the alarm tends to draw down charge that can never be replaced. The heat means continuous use of air con so and thermostat so its not surprising really. Went yesterday and the battery was replaced under parts warranty as it was less than 12 months old.
AO Gold Member
The (any) battery dies in excess heat, all you can expect in the UAE is 2 years maximum, unless the car is kept in the shade.

Battery ideally sits at 19 degrees all year round - yeah right!
If we went back to checking the battery levels manually and topping up
where required we would probably start seeing normal lifespans again.
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

My 159 still has the same original Alfa battery and now nearly 4 years old. I do reasonable journey everyday to work so this keeps it going I guess.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

battery , beware , failure , total