power loss - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
power loss

has anyone suffered with a loss of power with 2.4 deisel engine, came off motorway then set off again and had hardly any power, put foot down and engine bogged down and would'nt go, turbo gauge hardly moved. drove the short distance home with same problem. several hours later got back in car and its back to normal! any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
Never experienced it myself on the Alfa. Possibly a clogged DPF / EGR but strange that it seems to have cleared itself. Any warning lights displayed? A modern engine is a bit like a computer where stopping and starting the engine effectively 'reboots' the electronics; but the ECU shouldn't really need a reboot! Quite a few years ago I did have a similar thing with a Diesel Laguna - that was after coming off the motorway too - like with yours it ran fine after being stopped and restarted. I took it to the Dealer and they apparently reprogrammed the ECU because they thought it was a fuel injection issue. The problem hadn't reocurred before getting it to the Dealer (about 250 miles later)though, so I'm not sure whether any action was actually necessary. I gues if yours is under warranty it would be a good idea for them to plug it in the the diagnostic machine to see if anything untoward is recorded.
no warning lights on dash, rang dealer who said as its ok now what can they do!
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Yep, I get the same and expect it is the EGR valve sticking. I was waiting for it to become more regular before taking it in to be looked at. So far I get it once or twice a month.
first time its happend,ive had car a year and when it regens it normally just sounds deeper,you might be right with the valve as a few minutes after the power loss it regend
County: West Lothian
Had exactly this with mine just before Christmas - had the EGR valve replaced and it's been brilliant ever since.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Mines at the dealer at the moment with very similar chacteristics: when it's up to temperature and above 2000rpm, if you put your foot down there is nothing. So particular issues this causes are: pulling away from junctions, trying to accelerate on the motorway, driving smoothly....bit of a pain to say the least. Anyway dealer says that the engine ecu is losing it's connection with the body computer momentarily. They don't know why or how but they are going to solve it (I hope, fingers crossed, touching wood). Ithought it was EGR/DPF connected but apparently not. Also a few months back I had a coolant pipe changed under warranty as it was weeping coolant and when I picked it up it had no power. Apparently a valeter had knocked off one of the vaccuum pipes to the turbo and that caused similar problems.

Good luck with your investigation/repairs, I just want mine back working properly.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm........
AO Member
County: West Midlands
TUT Loss of power

Yes this as happend to me as well , phoned guests and they say sticking EGR valve . Takeing it in next monday for 36000 mile service , they said they would look at it then . I think its a bit dangerious ! happened to me getting off the motorway and overtakeing a lorry on the A5 not very nice when something is coming the other way !!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

loss , power