What are the odds! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
What are the odds!

Never comment on how well your Alfa is running because you know what will happen

Since Christmas I've had to have a damaged lower suspension arm and track rod replaced, then the other night hit a pothole and it damaged a brand new tyre then to top it all went to set off home at 6.30 last night, turned the ignition on, the headlights came on, then they went off??
Checked all the fuses etc and all seemed fine so I ended up driving home using the front fog lights.

Decided to check the bulbs this morning just in case and it turned out both bulbs had gone!!

I had changed them for the Philips Extreme (or whatever they're called) about two months ago and luckily had kept the old bulbs in the boot.

Has anyone else had problems with the Extremes?

I daren't drive it anymore 'cos I'm dreading what the next thing is going to be.

What goes around usually gets dizzy and falls over.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I was looking into getting the Philips Extreme jobbies, but after reading your post I might hold back a while now.
The standard ones seem poor at shedding anything other than a 6 foot spread infront of the car.

This pot hole business is becoming a nightmare, I seem to spend the drive to and from work weaving around dodging them. If ever a Rozza was to follow me I'm sure I would be stopped and breath tested!
I am remaining officially silent about the reliabilty of my 159.....not tempting anything!
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Sorry to hear about your woes. Tell me please, are the headlamps auto adjusting depending on the load factor? Just wondered.:
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
My headlights are manual adjusters, I have played around with this but not really much use.
I'm beginning to think that I might have messed around a little too much with the european settings, the "switch" that moves from GB to Euro light/beam setting. I think I put them back to our setting, but not sure....

Over-run "bright" bulbs are never going to last as long as the original versions, but my first set of Extremes on the dipped beams, lasted 14 months and 27,000 miles and then both went within two weeks of each other - which I thought was amazing consistency and suggested excellent quality control. They had plenty of use in that time, and with having auto-headlamps they pop on and off under bridges and in multi-storey car parks etc.

The main beams are still going strong after 19 months.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider