Xenon or not? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 16-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
Xenon or not?

Is it really modern and environmental friendly to have xenon lights on a new car? Donīt The Dark Side mount LED on their new models? I THINK our GT has a little more effective lights than our 159 (Xenon vs ordinary) but Iīm not at all sure.

Bottom line: Should I get biXenons on my future Brera?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
I'd buy them for the looks. I'm also not convinced that the output is much greater despite what the manufactures say. Two of my mates have Omegas (one with xenons and one without) and the xenons don't make much difference.
Don't ever buy them for looks - thats called "posing"! lol I do agree with 10,500 that in many cases the light output isn't a whole lot better - in fact the after market bright blue HiD's typically give less llight output than an incandescent bulb, Generally, the higher the colour temperature of an HiD lamp (the more blue it is), the lower the practical light output.

Xenons are an extremely expensive option and the standard lights (especially when fitted with Philips Extreme Power or Osram Nightbreaker bubs) are very effective.

My advice would also be don't be tempted by HiD bulbs in the standard lights either - they are still illegal for on-road use in the UK (I appreciate you are in Sweden and your local regulations may be different)

LED headlights are very new technology - but in the next few years they will revolutionise car headlamps. In short - right now - I wouldn't bother if it was my money
AO Member
County: Brasov

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm Q4

what are you rating about ukmike?
factory HID lamps (xenons) in brera/159 are simply "night and day" difference from then halogens...

steffoo, if you're ordering a new car and you are doing at least some night driving, go for the xenons, you won't regret it.

as for LED headlights, the only car so far that gets that factory installed is the new to be launched Audi A8 - and i'm very curious to see how that'll look in real life, as from the pictures it looks weird.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

yeah, i find xenons are a massive improvement in headlight function compared with halogens. now, if i have the option, i would also choose xenons.

i do a lot of highway driving (no street lights) and they are a boon. the difference of course is less obvious in well lit roads and with rain/wet roads; but you expect that.

the spread of light is more even, more intense, and whiter.

LED headlights are still a few years away
for major production.

Current technology means that it's quite
difficult to mske them all emit exactly the same
colour and so a lot of expensive "binning" (sorting)
going on to make sure you get matched pairs.

Could mean you are forced to change both if
one goes or is damaged.

If you can afford to spec. xenons then get 'em
(Along with their spray attachment.)

Otherwise fit better bulbs on delivery and adjust
the beams slightly higher.)
AO Member
County: Kent
I had xenons on a Jag and can honestly say I was completely underwhelmed by them. They look cool but I don't miss them at all. If I was buying second-hand and a car had them, all well and good, but I certainly wouldn't tick it on the Option List if buying new - just couldn't justify the expense.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Have xenons on the Brera and uprated bulbs on the Spider and everything about the xenons is a noticably superior. Brighter, whiter and much better light distribution.

If I was on a budget, I would choose xenon lights over larger wheels, they both look 'cool' but xenon lights have a practical application also.

As far as LED lights are concerned, I have an LED light for riding off road on my bike. It is the size of a Mars bar, cost Ģ300 but the light output is astonishing. Now imagine a pair of those on a Range Rover that's stuck up your chuff
Vincent Vega
I had them on a Golf Mark 5, and they were absolutely fantastic - the amount of light they gave off was rather impressive. Unfortunately, it meant that most days I got flashed by people who thought I was being stupid and driving with full beams on. (And, yes, occasionally I got the temptation to flash them back.)

I've got a Mini at the moment, which also has Xenons (a Phillips unit, I think), and I've driven another Mini without them. The normal ones are particularly weedy; the Xenons aren't as good as a Golf, but there is a definite difference. I wouldn't have a car without them now.

Oh, and the washers are quite neat, if you like that sort of thing. I can see the washers squirt the lights from the driver's seat.
AO Silver Member
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Get the xenons if you can, better resale value when you come to get rid, also I have had xenons on my last 3 cars and the difference is noticeable going from xenons back to halogens on the 147 (i am considering having the lamp units converted to take a xenon projector lens to I can have my xenons back). What I have noticed is that different lamp units work better with xenons than others, my BMW was great with them, the Astra wasn't as good and the Golf was great with them. Come new car time it is a no brainer for me the xenon box will be ticked.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Fiat Coupe Standard - Shocking
Fiat Coupe Osram whatever - Shockingly little different
Fiat Coupe HID aftermarket - Almost driveable at night.
MR2 Standard - Like daylight
Corsa TDi - Not much worse
Focus ST - Facory HID Not as good as the MR2 but pretty good
Brera Standard - Shocking
Brera Philips whatever - Shockingly little different
Italian theme here?
Get the HID I think...

Last edited by BeggarsBanquet; 24-08-10 at 11:33.

Last edited by BeggarsBanquet; 24-08-10 at 11:33.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider