Autocar article - 10 worst cars of the Noughties - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It all depends how you define "worst". A lot of the cars on that list simply aren't/weren't popular; that alone does not make them bad cars in my opinion.
The worst car I have actually driven in the last decade was a Citroen C3; it was like driving a polystyrene cup.

There are many other contenders for that list; CityRover (generally cr@p), Skoda Roomster (looks like two halves of two different vehicles glued together), BMW X6 (what's it for??), Daewoo/Chevrolet Tacuma (unnecessarily ugly), Toyota Yaris Verso (clever packaging, but looks hideous), Vauxhall Agila (the name implies agility, but if you've driven one....) I could go on, but I won't.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

147 GTA

Sounds like all 10 UK Veyron owners are happy with their purchases

I bet the people who voted for the Veyron and GT-R have never even seen one in the flesh let alone driven one. I'm not going to stand here and say they are crap because they aren't, scientific fact, but where is the vectra? Peugeot 206 CC, Micra CC, Micra full stop (having travelled 200 miles in the back of one of those pieces of crap I can (un)comfortably say they are terrible!!). I see no reason why the Vel Satis is on there it even got the Top Gear seal of approval, the spider is just laughable - sounds very daily mail readership vitriol spouted to me.
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey
Although I never drove it, I have been a passenger in an Avantime. Observations:

* Given how big it is - and it's Espace-based - the packaging is a joke. So much for space being a luxury.
* the rise is rubbish; none of this serene, smooth riding ability that you'd associate with a sublime riding French car. Think Audi A4 on big rims ride comfort levels
* Creak, groan, creak, creak again, groan - that's all you hear as the body and trim twist and flex.

It's a brilliant idea, but so poorly executed. The 'luxury' of space isn't there, despite that big glass area; the promise of a luxuriously cosseting French ride isn't delivered, and the creaks and groans are precisely what you'd expect if you asked Renault to make a huge car, minus B-pillars with huge body cut outs; god knows what the structural integrity is like if the groans are anything to go by.

Even in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #29 of 30 Old 16-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

Alfa Spider 2.2

Update to the list!

Reading the article again, I thought it would be interesting to add the number of units sold to date. Amended list below:
  1. Renault Vel Satis - 1,404
  2. Fiat Croma - 1,386
  3. Peugeot 1007 - 8036
  4. Maybach 57/62 - 89
  5. Seat Toledo - 3,264
  6. Vauxhall Signum - 17,367
  7. Dodge Avenger - 1,138
  8. Alfa Romeo Spider - 1,616
  9. Jaguar X-type - 120,930
  10. Fiat Stilo - 44,507
  11. Mercedes-Benz R-class - 3052
  12. Subaru Tribeca - 746
  13. Nissan Primera - 47,093
  14. Peugeot 407 Coupe - 3,173
  15. Renault Avantime - 448
  16. Smart Roadster/Smart Coupe - 7,449

I was amazed at some of these numbers - only 1,616 Spiders on the road... less if you discount those that have been written off or under repair in garages!
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

MG ZT CDti 135

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that magazine. I clearly remember it placing the 98-02 Honda Accord Coupe in its list of worst cars. Yes, it didnt really have a market in the UK (as opposed to being a good seller in the USA), but in 3 years of ownership:

100% reliable
Good running costs for a V6 motor
The most comfortable car I've ever driven

In fact probably the best all round package I have ever owned. A real drivers car.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

article , autocar , cars , noughties , worst