Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM. Advice needed please. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-10 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

BMW 3 Series

Alfa 159 1.9 JTDM. Advice needed please.

Hey people,

I am new to this forum and not the greatest of car experts so apologies if I sound amateurish.

I currently drive an 06 BMW 318SE (most extras included) but I am looking to change to an Alfa Romeo 159 after seeing one on the road the other day (since then I have been on a constant lookout for Alfa's, becoming a bit of an obsession to be honest as it is beautiful and is really different to any other saloon I have seen, plus I love the front grille), anyway I am interested in the 159 1.9 Diesel second hand, around 06/07 reg with 30 - 70k on the clock and leather seats (red or tan, and extras such as the bluetooth setup, parking aid etc.

Even though i'm in the early stages of searching for one just wanted a bit of advice on what to look for in terms of damage to used 159s, or wear and tear and in what way buying a 159 with 30-70k on would affect its performance? What are the main issues I should look for in looking for a 159 with that mileage and wear.

As I am on a limited budget of about 12-14k Max. When looking at used is it worth getting an AA or RAC car check done? Also are the servicing costs of the 159 expensive, and at what mileage should I expect trouble?

I would really appreciate any help provided.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
There are a few things to look out for specific to the 159 as well as things to look for with any 2nd hand car.
On the whole the 159 with this engine is rock solid. Have a good look at the stone chipping around the front and also the rear wings around the clear plastic chip protectors you'll see. It is a problem and a high mileage car could look pretty scruffy as a result.

Check the tyre wear on the fronts (and rears in case they've been swapped around) on the inner edge. This is more prevelent on 159's with bigger wheels but does occur on 17"s as well. It's to do with the setup of the front end. If there is scrubbing on the inside edges of the tryes it's en easy fix. Just take it to any descent garage to get the alignment sorted.

Have a good listen for a creaking noise coming from around the windscreen area. Common problem is the seal rubbing against the windscreen causing a creaking noise. Again simple fix, just spray some silicone lube between the seal and the windscreen.

Again I must say that the 159 is a very very good car and is a massive leap forward in quality to previous Alfa's. Just take one for a test drive and you'll love it. Also have search on here for remapped 1.9's. For about 400 you can transform it.

P.s. Don't worry if the computer is showing 35 mpg. Nothing is wrong it's just not a very economical diesel. But that doesn't matter because it's an ALFA ROMEO!

Good luck with your search.
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I second everything said up here ^^^^!

My 1.9 jtdm has just turned 71K miles and seems fine to me.
A few minor problems with trim etc but otherwise a very reliable car.
I am getting the cam belt done next week along with the 72K service, although the Alfa suggested mileage is 90K for this, I am not risking it. Also having the water pump changed just in case.

Mine has survived the miles very well indeed. Interior is excellent, even with 8 and 10 year old boys!
Exterior has held up extremely well, although mine is Stromboli Grey, which does seem to fair better than some black and red cars I looked at. Also looks the best colour.....apart form red of course.

With your budget you should be able to get a cracker! Good look in the hunt and enjoy the test drives.

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , advice , alfa , jtdm , needed , newbie , performance , secondhand