Snow traction - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Lord Melch
4 wheel traction works for me....touch wood ....until it brakes.. - Alfa dealer..."err Sir a slight issue with your 4WD, please take a seat"....

The poor chap in the huge great Beemer 12 series .. was half in a parking space. Both rear wheels on ice - one of those humps left by others driving... couldn't go forward or backwards. A good 4-5 inches of nice shiny ice..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North Lanarkshire
Originally Posted by ..dan.. View Post
Just thinking..all these 4x4 drivers are all acting smug ..but surely its still just as easy for them to slide off an icy surface than us 'normal' 2 wheel drive drivers? hehe
Smug as hell buddy! Get hassle for having overly heavy car cause of the 4 wheel drive most of the time...

It does slide, but with the q4 it tends to drift a little then grips and just powers on, it's fantastic. If you don't treat the conditions with respect the 4 wheel drive will help you to a point, then your on your own...
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 62
County: Greater Manchester
sensible snow-driving has been getting me around just fine, apart from one uphill section on the way home from work where you can't get any momentum going as it starts with a left-hand hairpin bend.

the fat tyres are a major hindrance trying to get up there - very embarrassing when there's an old granny in a vauxhall agila behind you willing you to get a bloody move on

i've tried it with the vdc & asr on/off and no use - fat tyres + snow/ice + hill = no use
AO Silver Member
County: Kent
The Q4 has also been great for me, and yes it is fun

On the A28 on Friday night, I had to try executing an emergency stop when a car heading towards me lost it and started sliding across the wrong side of the road I managed to stop safely -- although not undramatically -- but I have no idea how the car in front of me managed to avoid it! There could only have been inches in it.

Originally Posted by 159john View Post
Yep; me too - thinking about the compulsory 400 excess my insurance company slapped on me when I got the 159 too. I wouldn't mind so much if I was a young whipper-snapper; but I'm 45! The more slippery it gets, the more the excess seems to be on my mind
Young wipper-snapper here! Actually my compulsory excess is also 400 (The less said about the voluntary, the better...)

I'm very surprised by the number of people who don't seem to have adequately altered their driving styles to suit the conditions. By and large they've figured out it's wise to drive slower, but I still had people within a car length of my rear bumper on what I would consider to be pretty icy roads..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

snow , traction