10,000 miles into Alfa ownership. Thoughts so far. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Thumbs Up 10,000 miles into Alfa ownership. Thoughts so far.

I thought I would post my thoughts of the first 10K miles in my 159.

I bought the car back in June 2009, a 1.9jtdm 159 in lowly Tourismo spec.
It was an ex-fleet car, one owner, full Alfa service and just over 2 years old. It had 60,500 miles on the clock and all seemed well. It now has 70, 450 miles.

The initial selling points were its sheer value for money, its looks, its interior feel and the relative smoothness of the 1.9 Fiat unit.

Mrs Wynne71 was smitten with the looks and perceived quality from the first impression, so I was "allowed" to buy it!

I had previously owned Saabs for many years, but was sadly let down by the lack of quality and build of the last one, a 2003 9-3SS 2.0 lpt.

The 159 had a new clutch and flywheel at 54K, which worried me at first, but I have had no problems with clutch or gear change. In fact, once the car is warmed up, the change is the most positive I have ever had in any car.
I replaced both front disks and pads at 68K.
I also replaced both front tyres at the same mileage. The Pirellis were worn on the inside edge, so a full geometry set up was included at this point.

Engine still suprises me. At motorway speeds it is fantastic, even without a re-map. The pull from a low rev range is brilliant for overtaking and cruising. On Friday I went to Torquay and back, then Sunday to Bristol and back, at "enthusiastic" speeds and I still averaged a respectable 45.6mpg. This included a trundle through Torquays finest rush hour and back.
Brakes could inspire a little more confidence when approaching traffic etc.. I assume this is down to the fact I have a spaller disk than most Ti/Lusso spec cars? They seem to take a longer push of the pedal to engage any bite, but are efficient after this point.
Gear change is excellent, positive and direct. Still feels tight at this mileage.

The wheels are a pain to clean! Anyone with mutispokes knows my pain. The laquer is peeling off the back on the rears as well, not a good sign.
Bodywork it is in great condition. Not a single ding or car park dent yet, fingers crossed. All shut lines are consistent, no falling of doors etc.
Paintwork is good. After a proper wash and polish the metallic Stromboli Grey really does look good. Leading edges have a few stone chips, but no where near as many as other cars of the same mileage I have seen and owned. The badge needed replacing as it was dented and faded.
There is an annoying bit of condensation in the off side rear light, but this will get sorted over Xmas.

The dash and gear trim is of the plastic variety, a shame, lets the interior down a touch. I had a quote for replacing with alu trim, gulp!
The seats are very comfortable and as good as new, no rattles or loose sections. My ony gripe is that the Alfatex material looks great when perfectly clean, but attracts dirt very, very quickly. Maybe I need the leather in the next one...
All the dials work perfectly and with a certain style, love the little touches.

I have read many bad reports as to the Blue and Me, but I actually think it is a half decent system. It handles calls well, has never lost contact. A few niggles, but as a system to save me 3 points and a 60 fine, perfect.
The ipod connection is fine, once I had learnt how to convert files from Apples random format.
Hill brake is odd. Still not sure what and why it is there.
Stereo is good in my opinion. Far, far better than previous cars. Bass response is fine, and it plays to a decent volume without distortion.

On the Road:
Still love the way it tackle corners. Even in base suspension and with 16" wheels it grips, and grips and keeps on gripping. My friend was well impressed, and he drives a Cli0 182 as an everyday car.
There is a slight knocking from the near side on rougher surfaces, suspect a trailing arm bush. This will be looked at during the 72K service.
Very practical, takes the wife and 2 boys well and in comfort. Misses a few storage holes for bits and pieces.
Economy is fine. Not going to break any world mpg records, but real world economy is within reasonable bands. I reset Trip A as I first got in the car, it is currently settled at 40.1mpg, which is combined 50/50 commute and motorway travel. I am happy with this overall. The fule is a mix of supermarket (2 tanks) and Shell (1 tank). There was a DPF regen noticable within the first week of ownership, but since then I have "tuned" it weekly and this hasn't happened again.
Performance is good in some areas, 5th/6th gear motorway, and a touch strangled in other areas, 1st/2nd gear pull away. I think maybe a re-map may sort this, at a later date.

A very happy purchase!
I love how it looks, how others look at it. How it makes me feel sat in the drivers seat.

At this mileage rate I will hit 90K by the new year 2011. This will be time for a newer one, probably a 1.9jtdm Ti car. This will have a re-map straight away. I would love a petrol, so a 1.8tbi would be considered.

I am so glad I took the leap of faith and bought an Alfa. I have admired and wanted one for a longtime, and since the last Saab was a poor one, I was pushed into making the purchase.
As things stand I will be back for another one in the near future.

During the Xmas holidays I will be booking in to SimplyAlfas to have the 72K service done. This will be a big one, cam belts and water pump. I will ask them to look at the suspension on the near side during the service.
Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a wallet melting job!

Thumbs up to the majority of people on this forum, some really decent and helpful folk who go out of their way to support each other. Well done!

Moved over to the dark side

And loving it
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Great assessment Wynne - glad you are still happy with it
AO Member
County: Oxfordshire
Great review! Agreed with everything said!
AO Silver Member
County: New South Wales
Thanks for posting your review. Great to see how positive your experience has been. I share your sentiments about the car entirely. I have only done 5000kms in mine but have loved every one of them and I have had no serious issues at all, only a few minor niggles. I agree that the Blue & Me system is, on the whole, a great feature to have and use.

Hope you have lots more miles of trouble-free motoring in your bella.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 15-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
Thanks fellas.
Glad there are some of us still appreciating the car and its pros and cons!

AO Platinum Member
County: -
Very well written report.

9/10 for your end of term report...

Many more happy miles in the 159
AO Member
Good to hear your happy wynne71. Keep us posted how you get on.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

000 , alfa , miles , ownership , thoughts