159ti - Clunking noise from rear when travelling over poor surfaces - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 04-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
159ti - Clunking noise from rear when travelling over poor surfaces

Really impressed with the build quality of the 159ti especially coming from a rattly GT, it's been very quiet with little road noise. Of late i've notice a clunking type noise from the back of the car when travelling over poor quality roads, i thought it might be the suspension but am now wondering if its those 2 plastic lugs that act as mini shocks for the boot lit.

Anyone had a play with them to make them move less ?

If not these lugs then any other owner had similar noise over poor road surfaces ?

Alfa TI & Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
I adjusted mine because the tailgate was squeaking. Got it all set up so that the boot closed firmly....then a few days later, filled the boot at the supermarket; and the boot simply would not close! Very embarassing as I had no tools with me (and the mother-in-law in the car ).

So a word of warning if you fiddle with them - carry the correct spanner with you for a while afterwards just in case one day it decides no to play ball.

With regard to the clunking - I sometimes get this on mine, but I'm pretty sure it's not the boot rattling (incidentally; mine's an SW; not sure if your Ti is a saloon.)
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Top suspension arm. Had mine done under warranty (excessive play)

AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4 JTDm

My Brera makes knocking suspension type noises from the rear over some poor roads - got worse recently - anyone else had problems? - is it likely to be the same thing?
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I get exactly the same thing - Alfa had a look but could not find anything. It gets worse it I do a long journey - the other day it sounded like my exhaust was going to come off.
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Had mine in twice for this, first time told ok, second time replaced wishbone and now no clunking
AO Member
I have same problem, not had time to investigate it yet. Its very subtle, not a heavy knock. Only nearside rear.
AO Gold Member
I have a knocking from the NSR suspension, once I clear the boot to double check its not something daft, I'll get a look at the top arm joint for play.

The dealer is so busy it will end up being a 3 visit job, its better if it goes in diagnosed so they can just confirm it and order the parts.
AO Member
LUCKY! - was just about to put a post in about this.
My car is going in on the 21 June to get checked. As described in other posts I get an ill defined clunk on rough surfaces but it does not happen all the time!
I thought it was the shock but poss. not.

My waranty is up next month & if replacements/ repairs are necessary I want them done ASAP.

Anyone any idea how long any of this suspension stuff takes to repair? - I'm 80 miles from dealer - don't want to make too many trips.

Useful info anyway - Thanks

AO Gold Member
Mine is fairly consistent, any bumps or those painted speed ridge things and you hear it, its really the only odd noise the car makes.
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

159 TI 1.9Jtdm

I will let you know when i take it for a ride to Milan and backwards.....
AO Member

Member car:

159 JTDm

Had NSF lower wishbone a month ago as making all sorts of unruely noises when going through the potholes british roads, that was 325 from Veloces, Massive inprovement for two weeks then the noise started again last week so popped to a local garage who diagnosed an upper wishbone wear. Has replaces with pattern part cost about 135 fitted. Unfortunatly the pattern part isnt up to the job of carrying the heavy 159 and the garage are claiming warrenty on it from the manufacturer. Thursday they will be fitting an Alfa part cost free.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159ti , clunking , noise , poor , rear , surfaces , travelling