Booming Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Spider 2.4 JTDM

Booming Spider

My Spider Diesel 200 has had a slight intermittent running fault since I've had it (10 months). It is not a big thing, does not last long (typically 5 minutes) and happens about every week or two. The EGR has been swapped to no avail and the car is still under warranty.

The symptoms are booming like one of the back boxes has gone, poor fuel economy (from the instruments) and reduced power. The instruments clearly show that the turbo is less responsive when all this is going on. A typical instrument reading would be (though it can come in at any speed), 30 mph, 1500 rpm, 16 mpg, 0 psi (turbo) on the flat holding steady.

I have always ran super diesel in the 12,000 miles that I've had it. In recent days I have been giving it full throttle runs to the red line (not held) in 2nd or 3rd, but it just happened again.

Otherwise car very good now I've got through the other niggles (nothing re-occuring).

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
Sounds like dpf regeneration to me!
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Sounds like dpf regeneration to me!
^^^what he said^^^

If you were to slow down and open the window you'd be able to smell a hot burning metalic smell. Also if you pulled over you hear the exhaust 'pinking' as it cools down after the cycle.

I've never had any loss of power though, and usually it's only noticable if you're stopped and on tickover when it regens, otherwise they're pretty un-noticable...

I'd get the dealer to do a forced regen and see if it is behaving as it should?
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 26-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

Spider 2.4 JTDM

Thanks for that. Dealer has done a forced regen, but pattern remains the same. They reckon that regen shouldn't happen below 50 mph, but I'm not so sure. Interestingly, my neighbour has a Ford TD and it actually says in the manual that a loss of power will be experienced during regen. I have taken a whiff of the exhausts with the engine stopped and I have to say that there was a smell that I couldn't place. On reflection I remember thinking that it seemed vaguely metallic.

Regen sounds like a good bet.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

booming , spider