Goodbye Spider LE! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 10-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider LE

Goodbye Spider LE!

Well after a 1.5 years with the Spider LE I am finally saying goodbye at the end of this month. Whilst I have had many smiles during this time, the negatives have sadly got to the point where I am buying out the remainder of the 2 year contract.

Problems include - various electronic faults, the roof not working, oil light constantly on for no reason, rocking seats, creaks to the point where it sounds like the dashboard is falling apart, blue and me failing and struggling to reach >28mpg, even on a long journey and doing a constant 60mph!

It's sad it's come to this and I hope to return to Alfa one day. The dealerships must improve, after my local dealer closed a few months after having the car, none of the nearest were willing to pick up the car, nor provide me with a courtesy car.

I will miss the unique way it makes me feel when I see it in the mornings and the beautiful interior, not to mention the purr the engine seems to have developed and the jealous looks I get from German drivers.

Unfortunately though, I will now become an owner of one of those soulless cars - either a 3 door 1 series or a 2.0tdi a3, suggestions on either welcomed. Although I prefer the look etc of the BMW, I am struggling to look beyond the **** image the marque has!

Hope to be back on here soon with a new Alfa but it won't be before the quality/service issues are sorted.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Kent
Your problems are not really the car but rather the lack of dealer I'm afraid. the supplying dealer would have sorted your issues out for you. Hopefully you will give Alfa another go and have better luck with your dealer!
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

2.2 Brera S

Good luck mate I dont blame you for making the cut. Before you jump to Audi or BMW you should consider the Scirroco.
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Shame to hear this but hope to see you in another AR at some point soon.

The 1 series is a good car but fugly IMO. The 123d is a very strong performer.
As mentioned above the 'rocco is a good car if a little sterile.
AO Member

Member car:

Spider LE

hey Courboy

Long time no speak (my fault, been lurking but not posting)

Sorry to hear you're orf, amusingly, my car has many of those issues; dodgy blue n me, Exploding roof hydraulics, totaly pants fuel consumption seldom over 23MPG and the odd rattle too. but I still love the car; It still turns heads and for the money, I don't think I could better it.

OK its a fractious and fickle car but its special too.

Best of luck with your search for new car, I hope you can find something that is more resiliant (should'nt be difficult) and with just as much sex apeal (might be tough for the price)
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Spider LE.

Sorry to hear this! I too have been seriously considering paying the early termination penalty to get rid of my LE.

2 year contract doesn't expire until May 2010 but issues such as the poor tyre wear, rattling dash, terrible fuel consuption in relation to the power have all tarnished my overall love for the car.

As you say, it's a beautiful car and you'd be hard pressed to find something which looks so good for the money. But looks, as they say, aren't everything and with the winter coming up there won't be as much scope to enjoy the open top motoring.

Good luck with the new car, whatever you choose!
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

courboy - sorry to hear the spiders gone

Well I almost got to the point of selling mine a couple of weeks back when the 'menu' button stopped working on the indicator stalks ... a small thing i know but I've had way too many trips to the dealers as far as I'm concerned ... I'm back to loving the car though

As to the mpg ... I'm averaging 28-29mpg in my spider LE !

I'm a mug/fool/wise-man who bought his spider ... well I will have paid it off in another 3.5 years, thankfully not on HP tho ... but I do have a buyer if I ever get bored ... my dad wants it!

Good luck with the change of car ... out of the Beemer or the A3, well I can't stand the 1-series hatch, but I don't mind the Coupe ... I almost bought an A3 (but it would have been an 'S') ... as other peeps have said the 'Rocco' is pretty good

XBox Gamertag : CSR Seasider
AO Silver Member
Having no dealer at all is a total bummer, I can understand that is a totally impractical way to own a car and no fault of your own. Hope you get a good dealer near you soon, bad dealers do seem to be being weeded out and replaced but there is a recession on. Hope eventually you'll be in a position to get back to an Alfa!

And yes, though i don't like the rear end, I'd take a Scirocco over a one series BMW. BMW servicing costs are pretty high too, and dealer service can sometimes be poor. They've been okay but expensive with my mum, and poor and expensive with my mother in law, who now won't buy BMW again.

A3 - nice but very expensive for what you get, and quite a common car. Check out the options list on the configurator, Audi sting you pretty badly for things you'd get free on e.g. a 159 Lusso or a Brera, and really bad compared to a Spider LE.

Brat Pack no.8
AO Member
County: Worcestershire
Not just Alfa who have issues....over the last few years i've been lucky enough to have had a number of brand new vehicles from different manufacturers..Ford, Vauxhall, Chrysler,Land Rover, Saab and every single one of them has developed faults within months of leaving the factory and some of them within days.

Were the supplying dealers able to fix them....certainly not at first go in the majority of cases !
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
I had a 1 series before the Brera and bought a Scirocco afer the Brera. Forget the 1 series, too common and a lack of style. Get the Scirocco, I've saved a load in running costs after the Brera and the build quality is better than the 1 series.
AO Gold Member
It's sad it's come to this and I hope to return to Alfa one day. The dealerships must improve, after my local dealer closed a few months after having the car, none of the nearest were willing to pick up the car, nor provide me with a courtesy car.
Very sorry to hear about the dealer problems in Cambridge. The newly appointed dealership in Cambridge (as you probably know) were fired by ARUK for being utterly abysmal, and this was only after a very short period of running the franchise. This is what happens when a Ford dealership attempts to run with a niche brand such as Alfa Romeo.

Did you try Donalds in Peterborough?

Last edited by Spider95; 11-11-09 at 18:41.
AO Member
Really sad to hear this, but we've just made the same decision. Just waiting now for them to come and collect our Spider LE before I post my farewells.

I don't know if it's the dealers, ARUK customer service, or the product quality that's the problem (probably all 3 to some extent) but it's evident on our experience that Alfa do still have a problem. Disregarding the hesitation issue, we only really had a problem with the roof but it was a problem that seemingly couldn't be fixed even after 8 return visits to dealers, hours on the phone to ARUK and so on. And for most of the time we've had the car, we haven't been able to use the roof. Which kind of undermined the point of having a convertible - especially when each month you see the direct debit go out to pay the lease on the thing.

Even worse, we'd formed a real emotional attachment to the car (which is tragic I suppose) and personally I get a bit upset seeing it on the drive, reminding me of the hopes we had for the car as well as all the hours I spent polishing it.

There's still nothing available for less than 90k that's anywhere near as good looking, rare or interesting so it makes me really sad to finally accept it's a lemon and got to go. And that, like you, we'll likely end up with something dull and German instead - but something that works properly, or not replace it at all.

The Scirocco seems like a step down (especially with the Golf dash), and in any case my wife had her heart set on a convertible. Just can't bring ourselves to consider a TT, or worse still Z4 or SLK. Don't like four seater charabancs either. And every man and his dog has a Boxster. So there's really nothing out there.
AO Silver Member
County: -
A real shame to see more people following me out of the Spider, I too had a real emotional attachment to that car!

I hope that Alfa leasing (if thats who you took it with) dont screw you too much when returning it like they did to me.

Good luck.
AO Member
County: Edinburgh
Very interesting, I have been toying with the idea of selling my two alfas and buying a new model spider as I use a company car for work etc the spider I have is a 99 in silver and is immaculate I only bought it for weekends etc and only do around 2k miles a year it took me ages to find the right one and I made sure it had a manual roof as 95% of the time the roof is down and these cars are also known for electric roof problems and I have had no problems with it at all !!!!.I have been looking at the diesel not only for fuel economy but also the extra torque and used prices between the two models is roughly the same but if the roof is really that troublesome it would be of no use to me, is this a major issue or easily rectified and what if I buy say an 06 or 56 and its out of warranty what kind of expense could I be looking at to fix the hydraulics ayone know ?
AO Member
County: Highlands
On a more positive note. Ive not had any major problems with our Spider yet! (touch wood...) And the roof is flawless so far. We had one tiny Steering lock not actuating fault but that was dealt with by Benfield AR straight away. And it does look so beautiful.
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500

Comments here echo my own experiences with roof probs etc... have to say that out of the six new Alfa's ive owned the Spider has been the least satisfying and most troublesome cant wait for May when it gets returned and i can have something that doesnt rattle more than my van
AO Member

Member car:

Spider LE

done 20,000 miles in the spidy, its full of little gremlins but I still love he car, I'll run it till May when it goes back afterh the lease expires...

It will be near near impossible to find another car for the price of this lease that comes anywhere near the spider.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

goodbye , spider