I have noted that you already own a TBi - but the diesel is very refined and I thought you were a bit harsh.
- doesn't sound like one - I will give you that one. Its still a tad gruff for a petrol I found. I want a petrol to scream like a Ferrari in tunnels I'm afraid. A diesel will always have a noisy tickover though if you like to drive with the window open. On the move you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.
- doesn't smell like one - I use Shell V Power and that doesn't smell of diesel either
In fact V Power smells a lot like paint thinner.
- doesn't vibrate like one - They really don't vibrate
- doesn't have EGR - thats a big plus for the petrol (although at 30,000 miles with my 1.9 I am still problem free)
- doesn't leave a cloud of soot behind - none of the Alfa diesels do - see item "EGR" above!
I fully defend your choice but I would still choose the diesel - I need the economy for one thing but I have also grown to love the power delivery of diesels. I may think differently of course when they up the TBi power to 235 and 265 bhp!
Continue to enjoy your car