Uneven Tyre wear - how mine was dealt with - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Uneven Tyre wear - how mine was dealt with

I realised there is a pinned thread about this subject but thought others might be interested in the outcome of my case with Alfa Romeo UK who my local dealer (Picadilly) suggested I take the case up with as they were happy the car (2009 159 1.9TI) had been set up within the tolerances given to them.

Basically my car had only done 2K miles and yet the inner edges of the fronts were already down to 4.5mm

After some discussion with ARUK they agreed to cover the cost of the geometry check at the dealership.

I took the car in today and told the dealer the car must be set to zero toe as stated by several people on here. The dealer told me they've found 1 is a better setting so would go for that - reluctantly I agreed.

When I got back they showed me the report and said the allignment bloke works out what is optimum for the car based on wheels, suspension settings etc and arrived at 1.75mm for the 1.9TI from it's before setting of 3.25mm, this seemed hardly worthwhile as the change was only 1.5mm !!

Anyway I was happy to accept they knew best and left it at that. To be fair whether in the mind or not but the car did seem to handle, corner better this afternoon. I looked at the report again to try and understand it all and then discovered it was actually MINUS 3.25mm before and was now PLUS 1.75mm after the computer set it up optimally, so actually a 5mm swing ! .....that might explain the difference in drive !

Time will tell whether this will sort the inner wear out and i'm hopefull it will, if not i'll simply re-open the case with ARUK.

Some in summary a 5mm swing in the settings on the fronts, for the record the rears were set to +3.2mm toe and revised to +2.5mm toe

There must be 100's of owners in the same position but i'm not sure it's a simple case of saying one setting suits all as a stock 2.2 JTS is different to a stock 1.9 is different to 2.4 Sportswaggon or a 1.9TI etc etc.

I'll post progress on the sticky thread but something for all owners to keep an eye on and take the action you seem fit.

Alfa TI & Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Hi Mikey,
Have ARUK said anything about the wear caused by the setting, and are they prepared to meet some of the (substantial) cost of new 19's?
I'll check mine tomorrow, I've done nearly 6000 miles, and we got our cars the same week, so will be interesting (if scary) to see what mine are at
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 05-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Well in theory the corrected settings will cause the rest of the wheel to catch up in terms of wear so ultimately if it does wear evenly once caught up the tyre life will not be affected. I'm expecting at least 10K from the tyres now and will probably swop the around as i'll probably only retain the car for 15-20Kmiles so might get away without new ones.
AO Member

Member car:

Abarth 500

My fronts only lasted 4k and i made sure Alfa paid for a new pair
AO Member
County: Aquitaine
Had the same sort of thing with my 2.4 TI , excessive inner wall wear (but not as bad as some have suffered).
The guy at the tyre shop calibrated my toe to the car and not to the manufacturers 'default' setting. The result is a much more stable straight line ride and better cornering compared to the previous setup and, although it is still too early to tell (only done 5000 km on them so far) the wear sure looks even so far.
Getting someone that understands car geometry to setup your car is definately better than using a store that just knows how to use the machine and read spec tables.

AO Gold Member
My tyres needed rotated after 9 months due to advanced wear, though sice Western Alfa done a 4 wheel alignment in January, the wear has been even on my 19's.
AO Silver Member
Does anyone know if any of the internet tyre fitters are capable of doing the correct setting (tyre to specific car)? I'll be buying a full set of tyres in a year or more...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

dealt , mine , tyre , uneven , wear