supporting a bank
AO Silver Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Sussex
I'm not interested in the perception of Alfa Romeo reliability, I'm interested in my car. I have always gone against the trend, see my post above regarding Citroen.
OK for the record, I wanted an Alfa Romeo for years. This car was being driven by the service manager of a main dealer, Guest. I bought it with 14k on a 1 year old car. MY08. I bought a 1.9Jtd, not just because I like diesel, but because I had just completed 70K relative trouble free miles with a SAAB 93 1.9 Tid 150bhp, yes the same engine.
So, 6 months ownership of the Alfa, which still looks great, still has lovely leather seats and good quality trim in a well designed cabin, much better than the SAAB, but:
1. I have numerous stone chips on the front of the car and the rear of the rear doors/frame.
2. The engine coughs and splutters in the 1500 - 2000 rev range, more so working up through the gears. So far after extensive work no reason or cure for this has been found.
3. There is a rattle at idle, sounds like an exhaust baffle, as yet unreported as I wait for it become more prominent.
4. The drivers door has been hitting the rear passenger door on the overlap, taking the paint off, a new lock has been fitted, but the door still rattles.
5. I had to have a modified wiper arm fitted, it was colliding with the bonnet.
6. The radio has very poor reception. As yet unreported, there are more important things.
7. Now the clutch!
But, the clutch problem is weird, it has happened again, but if I try to make it slip, it wont. I actually think it may be a sticking release mechanism or hydraulics, its not contamination on the plate or a worn out plate. I'd like to know more about the 'dual mass flywheel', can someone enlighten me please?
I want to start to enjoy the car, I want to be able to enjoy driving it, that is what I bought it for; I cant at the moment. Sat in the drivers seat, the looks of the car matter little if the engine is coughing and spluttering, the clutch is slipping and I cant turn the radio on to drown out the noise of the door rattling.
So you see I'm not interested in statistics, it's MY CAR that I want right.