Still a clutch burning smell after replacement - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 02-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Still a clutch burning smell after replacement

I had my clutch replaced after 14,000 miles under warranty last week. The car still reeks of burning clutch however and I think it isn't going away - is this normal?
Sponsored Links
No its not normal
County: West Lothian
I see (and smell) more than my fair share of burnt clutches on our fleet - from our cousins across 'The Pond' who say "Sure, I can drive a stick-shift" then use the left-hand pedal as some sort of foot-rest to some who can't work out how to release the parking brake so they just red-line the revs and slip the clutch to overcome the resistence, . 'Best' we've had so far this year was a brand new Audi A3 (so no real loss there then, ) which left us with 10 miles on the clock and came back on a recovery truck reading 18 miles - clutch disintegrated into a 'million' pieces (nothing bigger than a postage stamp) and the dual-mass flywheel well knackered, .

Getting back to your question, that smell must be one of the most 'clingy' in the known universe. No matter what my guys use to try and get rid of it, it lingers for ages. It seems that it gets into every duct, vent and orifice in the car and just keeps coming back to haunt you. I'm afraid only time will disperse it - not what you wanted to hear I know, but if you do find a solution, you could make a fortune selling it to the car rental industry, .
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 02-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
I picked up my daughter the other day and her hair smelt of burnt clutch. It's not just ducts and and vents it sticks to. I will give it another week.
AO Member
County: Vaud
You sure its not the dpf regeneration - it can smell very much like burning clutch.
AO Member
County: Glasgow
If you are convinced the smell is through the ventilation ducts, you could try one (or two) of those air con cleaning cans. They are pretty effective at getting rid of nasty niffs. I find the Forte ones the best. If it is bad, it may have impregnated the pollen filter and this may need changed too.

Hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than a pongy car

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

burning , clutch , replacement , smell