Gard-X paint protection - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Cardiff

Member car:

159 LE

Help Gard-X paint protection

Hi everyone
Been very happy with my 159LE which I've had for 5 months now. my only headache is that I was persuaded into purchasing gard X protection when I purchased the vehicle. Unfortunately I have discovered two light scratches on the boot and have no idea how they occured. On previous vehicles I would have used a cutting compound and re polished. I contacted gard x who said they did not advise using T cut and similar materials but suggested I apply the gard x conserver undiluted. I did this with no improvement. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
The paint protection isnít going to stop all scratches and chips but it does work and Iíd recommend it to anyone buying a new car. Iíll leave it to the experts to advise how to get your scratches done but if itís only a small area, I wouldnít worry about the small area left unprotected.

I had a major case of industrial contamination where some idiot used an angle grinder and the hot grit adhered to all the surfaces. Cutting a long story short, the repair estimate was over £6k but ended up being £240 when they found the grit ad adhered only to the protection. An acid wash followed by clay brought the car back to showroom new. Iíve had the car over three years now and never had the need to wax it and it still looks outstanding.

By the way, the most common source of scratches on the boot is apparently from belt buckles. The Brera having a high boot lip and rounded back is extremely prone to this but maybe less so on the 159.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

i presume Gard-X is going to be a synthetic polymer sealant (as opposed to a wax). so it provides paint protection against fade/UV, adds gloss, makes it easier to clean the car, and prevents the paint from deteriorating.

if so, there's no reason it can't be 'polished' (ie: cut) to remove swirls and small scratches. but the most effective method is 'machine polishing'. doing things by hand may/may not be effective.

the 'problem' is that any such processess will remove the Gard-X. so after polishing, the paint should be cleansed (ie: with a 'paint cleaner'), then the sealant (or a wax) re-applied over that area. whether you use Gard-X products or an alternative is up to you.

if you have any doubts, you should employ a professional detailer, and discuss what products they offer and could use.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

gardx , paint , protection