235/45/18 Tyre Question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 22-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Glasgow
235/45/18 Tyre Question

Can someone please tell me the correct speed and load the tyres are meant to be. As my car is a lease car, i want to make sure i have the correct tyres on it if i hand it back?

I am under the impression they have to be 98 Y but i have seen lots of threads on 98 Ws

Can anyone clarify?
Sponsored Links
98W I believe according to the manual
County: West Lothian
I'm ordering in excess of 50 tyres per week in a variety of sizes and specifications for our company fleet and I'm finding that 'Y' rated tyres are the more common of the 2 ratings as the manufacturers are rationalising their production ranges and the 'W' rating seems to be one of the casualties. 'W' rating has a maximum speed of 270kph (168mph) and 'Y' rating allows 300kph (186mph) so either will be fine unless you've fitted a couple of turbos and a supercharger that you're not telling anyone about, . In strictly legal terms, as we have a maximum 70mph limit, you could in theory fit a tyre with an 'L' rating (75mph) although you might find it a bit difficult getting it in 235/45/18 size, , and of course you'd need to get your insurance company to agree as you've gone below the vehicle manufacturer's specified fitment.

So if the handbook states a 'W' rating, this is the minimum requirement and fitting a 'Y' rated one instead is not a problem. Similarly, you should fit a tyre with at least the specified load index i.e. 98 or above (although my insurance company were OK with the 97 rated ones I fitted to mine) - these might help (or it might bore you to death or just confuse the hell out of you) : http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html / http://www.rotationuk.com/gbu0-displ...e_load_ratings

Last edited by RomeoRaiderZ; 22-09-09 at 19:35.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

or 18 , question , tyre