159 Rear Mounted Bike Rack - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 07-09-09 Thread Starter
Status: Alfa 159ti
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Edinburgh
Posts: 62

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

159 Rear Mounted Bike Rack

Does anyone have a boot mounted bike rack on their 159? I've had a look at a few but they dont look like they'll fit. I'm not that keen about sticking roof bars on as I read a thread further down and its sounds like they are a nightmare. Its only for the kids bikes so there wont be much weight on the boot.

Does anyone have them or recommend them?
dingle8090 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Am interested in this too. Interesting to know what solutions others have found as I'm not keen on roof bars either and getting tired of taking my wheels off then lugging my filthy bike into the boot after every run out
Hunter is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
Status: Alfa 159ti
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Edinburgh
Posts: 62

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

No one out there got a rear mounted bike rack on there 159?

No one, anyone, hellllllloooooo!
dingle8090 is offline  
 
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Only thee and me that are keeping fit then dingle! :headbang:
Hunter is offline  
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Wonder if this would be ok

Snowdon Cycle Carrier
Hunter is offline  
Status: New old Spider owner
AO Silver Member
 
chuckyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Australia
County: New South Wales
Posts: 2,064
Images: 10
Hunter - a friend of mine used a similar one to that advertised on their Mazda 323. No matter how careful they were, they ended up scratching the paint. I solved the problem of putting the bike in the back of the Alfa by fitting a tow bar to my other car and using a bike rack on that Wouldn't want to spoil the back of a 159 with an unsightly towbar. I know that doesn't solve the problem at hand. Sorry.
chuckyb is offline  
Status: frenzied burrowing
AO Platinum Member
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 19,680
Images: 8
When I used a rear mounted carrier in the past I cut up a chamois leather and put the bits under all the contact points, including anywhere the straps touched bodywork. No paint scratches.

Anyway, I can't find a rear carrier to fit my SW.
Fraser is offline  
JFK
Status: Mildy confused, becoming moderately later
AO Member
 
JFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Posts: 471
Images: 2
I used a rear mounted carrier once and hated it with a passion, with every bump it felt like another scratch, or even an indent on the bootlid. Even if it was n't causing damage (it did though in my case) it sounded like it was, making the whole driving experience unpleasant.

I use roof mount cycle carriers on roof bars now. You don't even know they are there. Are you sure its not worth another look?
JFK is offline  
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb View Post
Hunter - a friend of mine used a similar one to that advertised on their Mazda 323. No matter how careful they were, they ended up scratching the paint. I solved the problem of putting the bike in the back of the Alfa by fitting a tow bar to my other car and using a bike rack on that Wouldn't want to spoil the back of a 159 with an unsightly towbar. I know that doesn't solve the problem at hand. Sorry.
Towbar! Never!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
When I used a rear mounted carrier in the past I cut up a chamois leather and put the bits under all the contact points, including anywhere the straps touched bodywork. No paint scratches.

Anyway, I can't find a rear carrier to fit my SW.
Hmmm, a leather pad under every pressure point. Interesting I wonder what it would do to my boot spoiler that's glued on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
I used a rear mounted carrier once and hated it with a passion, with every bump it felt like another scratch, or even an indent on the bootlid. Even if it was n't causing damage (it did though in my case) it sounded like it was, making the whole driving experience unpleasant.

I use roof mount cycle carriers on roof bars now. You don't even know they are there. Are you sure its not worth another look?
I just dont like the idea of roof bars. I'm sure they're very good but so bloody time consuming to get on and off, plus my drag coefficient at 100mph would be affected... j/k!

Seriously though, I'd prefer a boot mounted jobbie.

Oh hells bells, I'm biking over in Lancs this weekend - looks like a seat-down and boot job again

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 330d XD Msport Plus Performance


Hunter is offline  
Status: Making Ron Jeremy look small !
AO Platinum Member
 
howell811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virgin Islands (British)
County: -
Posts: 26,529

Member car:

75

I needed to carry 4 bikes, no option for me but to put them on the roof, it's a lot less hassle than a rear mount !
howell811 is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
Status: Alfa 159ti
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Edinburgh
Posts: 62

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

I've thought about roof bars but read another post further down and people seem to have a nightmare fitting them and then they scratched the car

Think I'll by an old van off ebay for 100 and use that instead
dingle8090 is offline  
Status: Making Ron Jeremy look small !
AO Platinum Member
 
howell811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virgin Islands (British)
County: -
Posts: 26,529

Member car:

75

Didn't fit the roof bars on mine, it's on the missus car !
howell811 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 456
another shout for a rear mount, just one bike though
bcampbell74 is offline  
Status: Bored waiting for the Giulia
AO Member
 
GCDBONES123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 841
Images: 1
Halfords will tell you their own brand models will fit but dont believe them. Went through exactly this problem with the old 156 and even with using foam pads and protective cloths I still managed to put several large scratches on the 156 using a standard rack. (Plus it had a plastic lower bumper art that flexed very worryingly when you put the rack and some weight on it.) Ever since then ive steered well away from using the same on the 159 but untill recently had the luxury of borrowing the wifes hatchback and slinging the rack on that. Now she has a mito and wont lend it to me so im also looking at racks again and have tried several of my mates none of which were perfect. The closest thing ive see that I would trust is a saris bones which seemed the best in terms of fit if thats any help. Never actually tried it with bikes on a journey but borrowed from a friend to try on a recent ride and it went on OK and looked good quality. Expensive to buy though but worth it if it stops the 159 getting scratched eh

56 1.8TS Lusso, 156 2.0JTS Selespeed Veloce, 159 2.2JTS TI, Mito 1.4TB 120Veloce, 159 1750 TBI TI.
GCDBONES123 is offline  
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Hunter is offline  
Status: frenzied burrowing
AO Platinum Member
 
Fraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: South Lanarkshire
Posts: 19,680
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
The Saris is a beautifully designed and built piece of rubbish. I had one at one time and the upper supports lift of the car, transferring all the weight to the lower supports. This damaged the bumper on my 166 (more than just paintwork). Don't get the Saris; it's expensive and useless.
Fraser is offline  
Status: Bored waiting for the Giulia
AO Member
 
GCDBONES123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 841
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
The Saris is a beautifully designed and built piece of rubbish. I had one at one time and the upper supports lift of the car, transferring all the weight to the lower supports. This damaged the bumper on my 166 (more than just paintwork). Don't get the Saris; it's expensive and useless.
So much for my idea
Thanks anyway Fraser was about to put an offer in for my mates second hand one but youve given me pause for thought. Same problem on my 156 with all the weight on the plastic bumper and didnt look safe at all.

back to the old drawing board eh
GCDBONES123 is offline  
Status: 660Nm of torqueystuff!
AO Platinum Member
 
Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: British Indian Ocean Terr
County: -
Posts: 15,150
Images: 37
Yep, looks like it


Got a sod of a journey the next few days.

Sheffield to Croydon to Bracknall to Bristol to Devizes to Birmingham and finally on Friday night to Bolton for a night out and then biking on Saturday in the hills in Lancs.

Bike's going to get dismantled and put in the boot and travel all that way with me. Hopefully without putting the seats down and making it a grands easy target for tea-leaves

Fingers crossed then
Hunter is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kent
County: Kent
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingle8090 View Post
Does anyone have a boot mounted bike rack on their 159? I've had a look at a few but they dont look like they'll fit. I'm not that keen about sticking roof bars on as I read a thread further down and its sounds like they are a nightmare. Its only for the kids bikes so there wont be much weight on the boot.

Does anyone have them or recommend them?
Hi , which bike rack did you go for in the end??? the Sari bones 3 looks quick good but from reading this thread it has some draw backs
Matt Pateman is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kent
County: Kent
Posts: 71
Matt Pateman is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , bike , mounted , rack , rear

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome