159 Rear Mounted Bike Rack - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 07-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Edinburgh

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

159 Rear Mounted Bike Rack

Does anyone have a boot mounted bike rack on their 159? I've had a look at a few but they dont look like they'll fit. I'm not that keen about sticking roof bars on as I read a thread further down and its sounds like they are a nightmare. Its only for the kids bikes so there wont be much weight on the boot.

Does anyone have them or recommend them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -
Am interested in this too. Interesting to know what solutions others have found as I'm not keen on roof bars either and getting tired of taking my wheels off then lugging my filthy bike into the boot after every run out
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

No one out there got a rear mounted bike rack on there 159?

No one, anyone, hellllllloooooo!

AO Platinum Member

Only thee and me that are keeping fit then dingle! :headbang:
AO Platinum Member

Wonder if this would be ok

Snowdon Cycle Carrier
AO Silver Member

County: New South Wales
Hunter - a friend of mine used a similar one to that advertised on their Mazda 323. No matter how careful they were, they ended up scratching the paint. I solved the problem of putting the bike in the back of the Alfa by fitting a tow bar to my other car and using a bike rack on that Wouldn't want to spoil the back of a 159 with an unsightly towbar. I know that doesn't solve the problem at hand. Sorry.
AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
When I used a rear mounted carrier in the past I cut up a chamois leather and put the bits under all the contact points, including anywhere the straps touched bodywork. No paint scratches.

Anyway, I can't find a rear carrier to fit my SW.
JFK
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
I used a rear mounted carrier once and hated it with a passion, with every bump it felt like another scratch, or even an indent on the bootlid. Even if it was n't causing damage (it did though in my case) it sounded like it was, making the whole driving experience unpleasant.

I use roof mount cycle carriers on roof bars now. You don't even know they are there. Are you sure its not worth another look?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckyb View Post
Hunter - a friend of mine used a similar one to that advertised on their Mazda 323. No matter how careful they were, they ended up scratching the paint. I solved the problem of putting the bike in the back of the Alfa by fitting a tow bar to my other car and using a bike rack on that Wouldn't want to spoil the back of a 159 with an unsightly towbar. I know that doesn't solve the problem at hand. Sorry.
Towbar! Never!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
When I used a rear mounted carrier in the past I cut up a chamois leather and put the bits under all the contact points, including anywhere the straps touched bodywork. No paint scratches.

Anyway, I can't find a rear carrier to fit my SW.
Hmmm, a leather pad under every pressure point. Interesting I wonder what it would do to my boot spoiler that's glued on

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
I used a rear mounted carrier once and hated it with a passion, with every bump it felt like another scratch, or even an indent on the bootlid. Even if it was n't causing damage (it did though in my case) it sounded like it was, making the whole driving experience unpleasant.

I use roof mount cycle carriers on roof bars now. You don't even know they are there. Are you sure its not worth another look?
I just dont like the idea of roof bars. I'm sure they're very good but so bloody time consuming to get on and off, plus my drag coefficient at 100mph would be affected... j/k!

Seriously though, I'd prefer a boot mounted jobbie.

Oh hells bells, I'm biking over in Lancs this weekend - looks like a seat-down and boot job again

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 330d XD Msport Plus Performance

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

I needed to carry 4 bikes, no option for me but to put them on the roof, it's a lot less hassle than a rear mount !
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159ti

I've thought about roof bars but read another post further down and people seem to have a nightmare fitting them and then they scratched the car

Think I'll by an old van off ebay for 100 and use that instead
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Didn't fit the roof bars on mine, it's on the missus car !
AO Member

another shout for a rear mount, just one bike though
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Halfords will tell you their own brand models will fit but dont believe them. Went through exactly this problem with the old 156 and even with using foam pads and protective cloths I still managed to put several large scratches on the 156 using a standard rack. (Plus it had a plastic lower bumper art that flexed very worryingly when you put the rack and some weight on it.) Ever since then ive steered well away from using the same on the 159 but untill recently had the luxury of borrowing the wifes hatchback and slinging the rack on that. Now she has a mito and wont lend it to me so im also looking at racks again and have tried several of my mates none of which were perfect. The closest thing ive see that I would trust is a saris bones which seemed the best in terms of fit if thats any help. Never actually tried it with bikes on a journey but borrowed from a friend to try on a recent ride and it went on OK and looked good quality. Expensive to buy though but worth it if it stops the 159 getting scratched eh

56 1.8TS Lusso, 156 2.0JTS Selespeed Veloce, 159 2.2JTS TI, Mito 1.4TB 120Veloce, 159 1750 TBI TI.
AO Platinum Member

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
The Saris is a beautifully designed and built piece of rubbish. I had one at one time and the upper supports lift of the car, transferring all the weight to the lower supports. This damaged the bumper on my 166 (more than just paintwork). Don't get the Saris; it's expensive and useless.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
The Saris is a beautifully designed and built piece of rubbish. I had one at one time and the upper supports lift of the car, transferring all the weight to the lower supports. This damaged the bumper on my 166 (more than just paintwork). Don't get the Saris; it's expensive and useless.
So much for my idea
Thanks anyway Fraser was about to put an offer in for my mates second hand one but youve given me pause for thought. Same problem on my 156 with all the weight on the plastic bumper and didnt look safe at all.

back to the old drawing board eh
AO Platinum Member

Yep, looks like it

Got a sod of a journey the next few days.

Sheffield to Croydon to Bracknall to Bristol to Devizes to Birmingham and finally on Friday night to Bolton for a night out and then biking on Saturday in the hills in Lancs.

Bike's going to get dismantled and put in the boot and travel all that way with me. Hopefully without putting the seats down and making it a grands easy target for tea-leaves

Fingers crossed then
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingle8090 View Post
Does anyone have a boot mounted bike rack on their 159? I've had a look at a few but they dont look like they'll fit. I'm not that keen about sticking roof bars on as I read a thread further down and its sounds like they are a nightmare. Its only for the kids bikes so there wont be much weight on the boot.

Does anyone have them or recommend them?
Hi , which bike rack did you go for in the end??? the Sari bones 3 looks quick good but from reading this thread it has some draw backs
AO Member

County: Kent

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , bike , mounted , rack , rear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page