159 SW - 2.4 Lusso - First 6,500 miles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
159 SW - 2.4 Lusso - First 6,500 miles

Fuel consumption – steady from day one at 36.9 – cumulative figures on spreadsheet – computer shows 36.7. Trips mainly out of town, cruise at 80 .I changed the EGR flange gasket for the later perforated type – no measurable difference. Cruising at 70 does help, but is boring!

As a comparison my last car (Volvo S60 D5) did 43.8 over 115,000 miles – same journeys and average speed – same spreadsheet and milometers checked out to nearest tenth. Put the difference down extra weight and DPF/EGR. May talk to AHM about their re-map and disabling the EGR.

Tyre wear Am on 17” and reset geometry as soon as I got it home – front wheels set to parallel thanks to this forum– handling and turn not affected.. Wear is even at 1.5mm, which is excellent.

General comments :

By far the best looking car of its type on the road.

Engine very quiet and smooth. Pulls well from low down (1,250 rpm). Wind noise well suppressed – road noise OK, but very surface dependent.

Handling is not bad – turn in fine but mid corner transition a bit clumsy. Front end bite is initially good, but then becomes spongy, accompanied by tyre squeal

Ride is quite knobbly, would appear to be a function of poorly matched dampers and stiff springs at rear to allow for ‘load lugging’. The damping at the front is soft and at the rear too stiff. I will shortly fit bespoke Eibachs and Konis with special valving at the rear. Can also feel the overweight wheels bumping up and down – lightweights might be on the list at some stage Rota do ones in the 8-9 kg range – think they will fit.. There is a better choice of tyres in 235/45 x 17 and in general they appear cheaper – the rolling radius is quite close to the 225/50..

Left hand indicator does not cancel all the time.

Climate control temperatures tend to reset themselves without warning.

Auto wipers not that clever.

Rear view mirror has a very noisy rattle when on auto-dim.

So all in all a pretty trivial list.

Overall It is an excellent long distance car and much admired.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
Interesting write-up George K - I could almost have written it myself about my car! The only thing that I'm surprised about is the spongy front end and tyre squeal; I've not noticed that with mine. My only real critisism of the car is that the road noise (which as you say is very surface dependant) is far too loud for a 'quality' car. Overall though, I'm more than happy to live with that because of all the car's good points.

Hope you'll still be as happy with it when it's got over 100k on the clock!
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Some interesting points - nice write up
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 27-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon
I am getting my Konis through one of their race service engineers and am visiting him next week to agree the valving - hope this should enable me to tidy up the responses. Am spoilt by my hill climb DC5 on AST's, but I did develope the Volvo to behave surprisingly well and ride better than o.e - just a shame that the only practical way to run some negative on the 159 is by reducing the ride height, which the eibach springs should do. to a small extent

Could also be to do with the 50 profile tyres of course, but one thing at a time.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 500 , lusso , miles