3.2 Engines - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 25-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Herefordshire

Member car:

3.2 Brera S

3.2 Engines

Having read various comments in various threads about the 3.2 non-Alfa, Australian engine, I was reminded of an incident in my old 3.0V6 (6V) 75. I was driving through Italy in the 75.. it was less than 6 months old.. and the engine spectacularly went. To cut a long story short, it was nothing more serious than a broken fanbelt. Unforunately, they discovered later that none of the dashboard warning lights were working so it quickly and terminally overheated. Anyway, the point of this post is that although the car expired in Italy, no parts could be found (mainly valve gear, cylinder bits etc etc). The reason given at the time was that because of the Italian car tax rules, hardly any 3.0 V6 cars were sold in Italy, their preferred higher power option being the 2.0TB. I had to wait for two weeks for the parts (guess how impressed my wife was- stuck in the middle of nowhere, 1 year old baby, a warranty not worth the paper it was written on 'cos Alfa GB couldn't trace the paperwork, Italian garage that only accepted cash....). And guess where the engine parts were eventually sourced from? Yep. Australia. Not Arese; Australia.

18 months later, Alfa paid for the engine rebuild, the hotel, the car hire that they originally refused. And they sent my wife a nice bunch of flowers as a gesture of goodwill!
That was the first of 4 engines I have had go ... 3 cambelt failures (1 GTV and 2 GTA)!
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Jinxed or what
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Wow, lucky you are still sticking with Alfas. What mileage were your failures at?
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands
I loved my 3.0 75, but it was Alfas first effort at providing trendy additional warning lights (as opposed to water temp, oil temp and pressure) The only car I've ever seen that had a warning light to tell you that the warning lights were not working AND a button to switch any warning off. Sorry to hear of your sad story sbyatt, though I guess eventually getting through it was character-building for you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider