Alfa Virgin buy's Spider LE....with questions!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Alfa Virgin buy's Spider LE....with questions!!

Hi all,

First Posted on here a week or so ago as I was trying to find a suitable Spider LE..... Happy to say I have an am now the proud owner of a 08 LE in black which I picked up yesterday and have not yet stopped smiling. So pleased I chose this over a TT or Boxster, although I might now be a bit biased I think these is not many cars out there this side of a (dare I say it) Ferrari that look this stunning and certainly not for sub £20k with 2 years warrantee still to run!!

Collected the car from Telford and drove back to Kent yesterday and loved every minute, it's been a good while since I’ve tried to think places to go just so I can drive the car there.

This is my first taste of Alfa ownership having come from many years of German vehicles (X5, Mark 1 TT, 330 Convertible etc) and have to say it does feel like you’re driving something a bit more special.

Anyway…I’ve got a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me with.

1) The front 2 tyres are nearing the end of there life and after any suggestions of what to replace the standard P Zeros with? I’ve had Toyo’s on my last couple of ‘performance’ cars and wondered what people generally prefer to use on their Spiders?
2) Sat Nav options, I’m sure this has been covered before on her and did a search on both Brera and Spider, my choice is whether to mount a tom tom type nav next to the centre console and hard wire it in or replace the double din unit. As I think with all LE’s mine has Blue and Me and not sure yet if this would be compatible with a replacement unit, say by Pioneer. Quite keen to keep the standard look inside so wondering what other may have done to solve their route finding issues!?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
There is a very limited choice of those tyres in the correct specification, when I needed tyres, they could only quote P Zero's or Conti's
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
There is a very limited choice of those tyres in the correct specification, when I needed tyres, they could only quote P Zero's or Conti's
If you have plenty of money get p zeros etc. Tyre wear bad on these cars so those in the know go for Vredestein or Kumho, both excellent tyres at nearly half the cost
AO Member
County: Highlands
Sat nav wise, Alfas official brochure has double din pioneer sat nav/head units.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

Hi Sam,

Welcome to Spider ownership ...

to answer your questions I've stuck with the Pirellis on mine, getting the rears done today (hopefully) for the first time after 21k, fronts were somewhere between 12-14k for me. Pirellis are costing me about £430-450 for a pair. If you search the net there are only 3 tyres of exactly the same profile as standard on the wheel from Alfa (Pirelli, Conti and Bridgestone I think). If you search the forum you'll find lots of discussion about the 19s and tyres and a few people have changed the width of the tyre to open the options up to the 'cheaper' brands. I didn't feel happy with doing this.

As to the second bit I'd suggest just spending £100odd quid on a TomTom, I put mine between the dials and the windscreen pillar as low down as possible and then you can run the power cable over the top of the steering column and down to the lighter if it needs charging. much simpler and cheaper than an after market unit (i used to have one in my previous non-alfa) ... also means you don't lose any functionality with the blue and me ... Oh I'd recommend getting a USB stick to leave in the car for the music !

If you're not too far from Essex we have our monthly meet this wednesday night

Hope you enjoy the spider and welcome to the forum

if you have any Q's over the spider I'm sure someone here can help, and feel free to send me a PM

XBox Gamertag : CSR Seasider

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alfa , buy , lewith , questions , spider , virgin