159 tbi Test Drive - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 22-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Glasgow

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Super

159 tbi Test Drive

Well folks, I've just arrived back from test driving the new 1750 tbi engine (alfa red 159 saloon with TI spec) and am still smiling!

A good long sunny drive on my own for an hour and a half with spells on motorway, dual carriageway, a-road, winding rural b-road and even a stint on cobbles through a market town!

Wow, what a car! I'm not very technical compared with some on here but I hope this helps for anyone interested....

First overall impressions were of 'lightness' in the front - the feel and handling were superb and vastly improved from the 2.2 JTS that I drove a few months ago. The steering was sensitive but precise and gave me confidence on the bends with plenty of grip from the 19s. I was also pleased with the lack of turbo-lag. I wasn't sure what to expect because I've only driven a hire car (Mondeo) that had a turbo and I thought it was awful and slow to respond. The 159 tbi just gives you this smooth, gentle 'ooze' of power right through the range.......it's hard to find an analogy but relative to my Mazda it was like being "stapled to the front of a Eurofighter" as Jeremy Clarkson described it once! I was on an A-road at one point, tried a burst of acceleration in 3rd gear and went to 70mph easily. Then, on the motorway, I pulled into the inside lane to let this MX5 have a good look as it went past, then pulled out with a long clear straight (uphill!) and gave it the beans Let's just say that my speed had significantly increased and within a few secs, said MX5 was a speck in my mirror!

Sorry to go on but the best bit of my trip was seeing plenty of people looking at the car and the bemused look/nod from this guy in a BMW when I let him turn in front of me in town traffic - dignified or what?

Yes, I'd agree with some about the sound not being the same as older alfa's but unless you're updating from a previous alfa, I don't think you'd be too concerned. It's still a nice sound but this will be the way forward I reckon.
Sponsored Links
Cheers fella, great review
AO Member
County: Northumberland
Good review, I'm looking forward to trying one of these out for myself.
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Read a couple of reviews on here now about the 1750 tbi and they all seem good
My local dealer is going to give me a call when they get one in. I can't wait
AO Member
County: -
Finally, a long waited elaborated review of the TBi engine.

It will be quite long before my side of the world will get it.
AO Platinum Member
County: Berkshire
I want to try one of those
AO Member
County: Kobenhavn
I have allso tryed the 159 TBI a few weeks ago, and was wery possitive about that engine.
My daily drive is an alfa 156 jtd 16v berlina with now 300.000 km on the clock (had it from new in 2004) so im used to a car that can pull away with its nice big tourqe, and its the same feeling i had with the tbi engine, it just pulls!
The responce is impressive, and there is allmost no lag from the turbo, its waaay less than my jtd. And it can even pull from lower rpm than my jtd without any complaints.
I think the 159 is a bit to big for me, and im waiting to se if the mito come as a GTA or maby the new 149/milano come as a 1750 tbi/gta then that will be my next car.
I had 2 things i didt like/understand with it, and thats the lack of sound, but a new exhaust would fix that quickly, and after that why it stops at only 6.000 rpm it feels like it could just pull for a nother 2.000 rpm if you let it. That would be something to change when you chiptune it anyway
Nice car and wery nice engine.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV 11
Fiat 500 1,3 MJT Lounge 08

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , drive , tbi , test