159 2.2JTS Gearbox problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Help 159 2.2JTS Gearbox problems

I've had my 159 2.2 JTS SW for 3 months now. In the first week of ownership I was not enjoying it (see thread link below).

I had the usual pick-up problem, but now i have grown used to it.

However, the gearbox is still a great iritation, and causing me not to enjoy the car (like I did my previous 156 2.0TS SW). It's just incredibly notchy! I've never owned a car with such an issue previously.

I drive a large number of rental cars with my job of various makes (Vauxhall, Ford, Scoda, Seat, Citroen, Toyota etc.....) and none of them ever exhibited notchy gear changes. All of them have nice gearboxes; where changing gear is something you do subconsciously i.e. it's not something you have to think too much about. With my 159 I have to think prior to moving the gear-lever.

This past week for example I been away on business in a Vauxhall Insignia and the gearbox was great. It's always a horrible moment when I step out of a rental like that, get in my 159 and then experience the gearbox.

The Alfa dealer from which I bought my car says it's normal!!!!!Actually he also saw nothing wrong with the gearbox of a MITO which I loaned for a day....and that was even worse.

I'd be grateful to know if anyone else has experienced such problems, and more importantly if it was resolved, how?

I was wondering whether it was a clutch issue?

Or, could it be slackness or other issue of the remote linkage from the gear lever to the box?

I have 1 month remaining of the original ALFA Warrantee (but I bought an extra 2 years with the car)

I'm crossing my fingers that someone out there has resolved a similar gearbox issue.
many thanks,

156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS Veloce - ALFA Silver - 2005 - 2009
159 Sportwagon 2.2 JTS Turismo - ALFA Silver - 2009 - 2012
Giulietta 1.4 MA Veloce - Black (601) - 2012 - 2015
Giulietta 1.4 MA Exclusive - Etna Black (805) - 2015 - ?

Sponsored Links
Check out threads posted by Squadrone Rosso as
he's posted about gearbox issues.
They are notchy, mine sounds exactly same as yours and felt similar on the three or four I test drove.

I think you might be looking for a fix that doesn't exist and its part of the character of the car, (which I personally quite like; but then I did give the car I bought a very thorough test drive to make sure I was 100% happy.
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
The gearchange in my 2.4 was notchy to start with but eased up with use. It's still quite mechanical but I like it like that.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

the box on my Spider is notchy ... just got used to it ... at least it's not woolly
AO Silver Member
It's really smooth on my 2.2. It has done 16,500 miles though. Was a bit stiff at the start. Sounds like something's not right on your car.
AO Member
County: Gauteng
Yes I agree that the gear box on the 159 is very notchy, very unlike the smooth box found on my previous 156 Sportwagon. I have however found that the gear changes are much smoother if the revs are kept high, above 3000 revs. If you driving slowly or in traffic then its a case of getting use to it.
AO Platinum Member
County: -
SR had 2nd-3rd issues and ended up with a replacement gearbox.

Mine is fine, a little slow sometimes, not the greatest but certainly not a bad gearbox.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 30-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire
Hey hey hey.......problem resolved see my entries in the following thread

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 22jts , gearbox , problems