Boot Power - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Boot Power

Soon to leave on my hols so I got round to fitting a power socket into the boot so that I can plug in my fridge etc. In the end it was quite easy so for those of you who would like to give it a go (at your own risk) this is what you do.

1) It's up to you but you might want to disconnect the battery using the quick release before you start.

2) Remove the left side boot lining fixings, 1 screw, 2 plastic nuts, 2 plastic push fittings and bend back the lining to get good access to the fuse block.

3) Remove the large red power feed wire (see pic) by pulling on the yellow tab and then squeezing the connector.

3) Remove the three 10mm nuts holding the fuse block to the car.

4) Pull off the relay (black cube thing)

5) Pull off the back of the fuse block to reveal the insides.

6) You will see two metal bars the lower one is connected directly to the large red wire and this is a permanent 12V that feeds all the lower fuses, the smaller upper bar is connected to the relay and is a switched 12V that comes live when the ignition is on. You can decide where to take the feed but I wanted mine to be switched.

7) You need to attach your feed wire (similar size wire to the stuff that comes with the socket, no smaller) to the metal bar, I did this by pulling the bar out and with a small crimp connector connected my feed wire to a spare tab feeding the wire though an unused fuse hole (see pic). You could solder your feed wire to the bar if you don't have the miniature crimp connector. Once connected push the bar back in place.

8) Take your new feed wire and attach it to the power socket via a fuse (see pic). The +12V is the back contact in the socket (but you knew that). The ground wire can be connected to the existing ground post conveniently located next to the fuse block using a spade or loop crimped connector.

9) Put it all back together and the job is done. I used a 7.5A fuse and a quick test on my fridge showed it takes no more than 3A. The relay is rated at 50A by the way. My sockets are on a swivel and just stick to the shelf with a pad.

10) Don't forget to connect your battery!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10082009481.jpg (53.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 10082009482.jpg (70.2 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

This is very useful and interesting! Thank you!
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
Good write up, but, Mr. Romeo has already fitted one in my boot

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

boot , power