159 1.9D Inlet Manifold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
159 1.9D Inlet Manifold

Not sure if this is a common problem...a couple of weeks ago, after a three figure late night blast up the A1M in my 06 plate/35k 159 1.9D the engine mangement light came on with a 'get engine checked'-type warning. Seemed to be running okay so continued to supermarket for a few (beer) essentials. When returned to car and started engine (expected fault to clear to be honest), car was obviously in limp home mode. Managed to crawl (20mph-ish) home.

Left car at home next morning (Friday) and rang local (car supplying) Alfa dealer to see if could get car in quick. They, helpfully nontheless, said it would be at least 5 days before they could look at car AND provide courtesy car. Bit miffed at this so rang AA when got home (as car under dealers 3 yr+ warranty). Excellent service from Fiat/Alfa helpline at AA. AA arrived and diagnosed fault as "sticking linkage on dual port inlet manifold (guy seemed to know what he was on about). Could'nt fix so car went in that night to local delear (2 miles away) and AA guy drove me to pick up (Ford C Max.................) hire car. Anyway, on Tuesday (car was at dealers since Friday night) dealer rang to say inspected car and that I should get in touch with ARUK as car out of warranty and needed new inlet manifold at a cost of 900. Reminded him of 3yr+ warranty and he said would check. Within 5 mins rang me back to say all cost covered and car would be ready next day. And it was.

Main things I wanted to mention were:

1) Is inlet manifold replacement on a 159 1.9D 06 plate / 35k mile common??

2) Local dealer, Piccadilly Knaresborough customer service is excellent!! Plus, they had an 8C in there showroom.....sharing floorspace with a Panda

3) Alfa dealer-provided warranty is excellent.

4) Alfa customer service in Italy follow-up makes you feel valued.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
It's a common issue but the result sounds positive
AO Gold Member
Thats a good result, the new manifold will also ward off other issues, no messing about there from Piccadilly.
AO Member
ours had new inlet manifold, 5 new injectors. 43k miles. the fault cause hunting when idleing. not happy with notts alfa dealer help had to take back twice plus several times for alfa care to check car to see if they were going to pay or not ;-( all sorted now so happy in end but would not have expected these problems. A bit of a love hate relationship hate the problems love the car.......
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

The hunting for revs, limp mode, sooty exhaust, all points to either injectors/inlet manifold from what i can see........ but dealer says mines ok!!! Yet again inconsistant Alfa and a dealer who seems scared to spend money in case Alfa dont cough up...... result, i will end up paying for it quite probably and have to drive round in it like this until it packs up completely!

Glad yours is all sorted

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 19d , inlet , manifold