946 Spider & Brera niggles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 27-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

TT TDI Roadster

946 Spider & Brera niggles

Hi Folks,

I have had enough niggles with my Spider 2.4 to have considered dumping it back at the dealer and stopping the lease payments. Trouble is I enjoy driving it too much. How about you others?

1. Driver's seat which wobbles forwards and backwards - tips forward on braking. AR say they can't fix, the problem is the unusual position in which I use it!!!!!!

2. Currently the roof comes up with a "Temporary Hood Failure" about every second time of use during closing, generally as the roof cover (tonneau?) is closing. The roof cover has caught a couple of times on the edge of the boot lid and is bent there.

3. Fuel consumption (well documented in a separate thread) is nowhere near as good as my 156 2.4 got, despite having the same quoted CO2 figure. But mine is still better than many other owners'. I think the official testing was done with the particulates filter removed!

4. Blue & Me - I could write a book. Currently on my third replacement unit. It won't recognise album order of tracks, only plays them in alphabetical order. That is when it decides it can communicate with my iPod (it hasn't done for 4 weeks now). Frequently refuses to connect with my phone. Basically I think it is the Windows Mobile software at fault, but can't prove that.

5. Boot lid catches on bodywork when lifted and has scraped the paint off.

6. Slight coolant loss.

7. Rattly window on passenger side door when closing. 4 attempts to fix so far.

8. After 6 weeks from new the brain which controls side windows and roof went AWOL and left the roof stuck open. It rained of course. Thankfully not much.

9. Bouncy on bumpy roads when new but that has settled now the shockers are bedded in.

10. Low indicator on washer fluid doesn't work.

11. Mystery fault warning for engine management has come and gone a few times. Computer says no....

12. Occasional hesitation from engine when the DPF is doing its burn-off.

13. Ambient thermometer reads 2-3 degrees high which could be dangerously misleading when roads are icy.

That'll do for starters. I was hopeful of better build quality than my previous 156, but no. At least it has not actually broken down. Yet. Touching wood now. The 156 did twice, both times when the turbo hose blew. You should have seen the smoke.

AR's customer service have not been any help despite making the right noises. The dealer has genuinely made an effort on some of these but is not getting much support from AR.

I haven't mentioned tyres - some folk seem to have done much worse than I have on that - see separate thread. I haven't had any roof leaks either. Except when the damn thing sticks part open with its "Temporary Hood Failure".

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

I think you have listed off a good number of "common faults" experienced by other Spider Drivers (and indeed Brera/159 Owners)

The seat should be repairable, how can you have it in an unusual position if the electronics allow you to move it there??

There is a thread on the "Temp Hood Failure" in the Spider/Brera/159 Forum, try doing a search for some further guidance.

You'll probably find most others covered on here also. Sorry to hear you've had so many issues with it. Your warranty will soon become your best friend!

Good Luck!
1) Seat wobble is a known fault and should be repaired.

4) B&M like many other MP3 systems uses FAT formatted drives and needs
filenames to be prefixed with the tracknumber to get them to play in the correct order.
What phone do you have. Some are better than others when it comes to Bluetooth implementations.
Please check the ICE/B&M lounge for many many threads on this. I've had very few
problems with Bluetooth over the 3 years I've had the car. Best toy on it TBH.

6) Check the breather pipe on the expansion vessel. (My 147 had that issue.)
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 28-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

TT TDI Roadster

Thanks Nev & Fierce.

As it's under warranty I'll leave all the checking to the dealer!

The wobbly seat issued has been attempted by the dealer several times. Apparently mine is not in the range of chassis numbers on which this is a known problem, so they have given up as AR say nothing can be done. That's what I said, Fierce.

Nev - who or what is B&M? And are iPods not FAT formatted? Again dealer says nothing more can be done.

I'll go and look at these threads.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 28-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

TT TDI Roadster

Thanks guys, have had a look at the other threads, I am not alone!

I forgot one which others have also mentioned - brakes squealing. Does it at lot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

946 , brera , niggles , spider