159 Horrible grinding noise when turning wheel after service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
159 Horrible grinding noise when turning wheel after service

Hi all,

Having an absolute nightmare after the first service I've given my '06 159 1.9jtdm (bought second hand and just had its 54,000 mile service at Picadilly's in Knaresborough near Harrogate, including new pads and new discs at the front). Would really appreciate your thoughts and opinions as am at my wit's end. Sorry for the long post but need an expert second opinion...

My wife drove car back down to London and reported a funny noise. When I went to drive the car on Sunday, there was a slight whining noise above the engine noise. But as soon as I touched the steering wheel, there was a horrendous grinding noise coming I think from the engine (or could be front wheels). Lots of resistencewhen I tried to turn out of my parking space, and juddering when I hit the brake. The car is undriveable.

Spoke to AR at Picadilly's who reckon there's a problem with the power steering fluid and gave me the details of the fluid and basically said 'nothing to do with us and no help from us' unless I can prove otherwise. Weird that I've had the car for over a year with no problems, it goes in for new brakes and discs and then doesn't work with noise coming from the wheels after they serviced it, but hey - benefit of doubt until proven.

So I went to top up the power steering fluid, which did seem a little low when engine cold, but thought I'd turn the engine on first as I heard the fluid expands when car is running so it needs to run for a second or two. Immediately the fluid bubbles up out of the top of the container, so I swithc the engine off sharpish.

Am getting it checked out by local garage tomorrow (if I can find a way to get it there!) but would appreciate any thoughts on what might have caused this, and the best way to approach the dealer. Frankly I am furious at present, but am trying to reserve judgement.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for long post!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Uppsala
Im having the same issue, was this resolved or anyone know what causes this? I get the noise even stationary when you may even a small turn on the steering wheel
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Fluid bubbling in the reservoir? Replace the reservoir, there was a design flaw that was fixed meanwhile.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Used to get it on mine but when it was luckily still under manufacturers warranty, new reservoir and new correct colour fluid. 50000 miles since that was done and have had no further problems.
AO Member
County: Copenhagen
agree, check the fluid type and level. If still not helping, check the steeringrack for corrosion.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Do a search, subject is well covered in a number of threads...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , grinding , horrible , noise , service , turning , wheel