Red-back Spider - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Wave Red-back Spider

Just acquired a new red Spider 3.2 Q4 (first Alfa [about time too], so I'm a real newbie) from Motorpoint, ; upside = big discount, downside = not a lot of post-sales info (I was lucky to get a handbook ! ), so I'm making some assumptions (rather than pathetically contact the local dealer).

I'm guessing that I should keep it under about 3000 revs for the first 500 or so miles, & not try to do the things that make you grin form ear to ear; and I'm also assuming that the miserable fuel consumption will improve when it's loosened up a bit ( I'll put up with c 16mpg around town, but would expect better on mixed motoring, maybe around 24 mpg?).

Finally (and I suppose I'll have to get the dealer involved with this), the hood clips the plastic passenger roll-bar trim as it's closing - is this a common problem?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
Welcome to Alfa ownership. Can't help with your questions but you'll see lots of moans on here about fuel consumption (usually on the diesels) but I think we all agree that the ear to ear grin more than compensates!
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Various VAG

Welcome to AO Doctor ...

ok here goes ... Alfa engines are still worth running in ... I did about 1k of running on mine ... not too low revs or high revs to stress the engine. In a year my 2.2JTS I only put 1 litre of oil in as that was all it needed.

Fuel consumption and performance will improve around the 10k mark ... well it does on the 4 pots

as to the consumption ... it'll never be great as it's an Alfa ... I'm averaging 28-29mpg in my 2.2 petrol but that is with A-road/motorway commute ... but I can get it to read 15/16mpg if you boot it ... 24 sounds about right for the v6

as to the plastic trims on the back of the roll over hoops ... yeap a known fault/issue ... the fix is to get the dealer to glue them on ... <touch wood> I haven't had that issue myself with my car, but i did on the car i originally took for a test drive ! ... other things to look out for is the 'spider hernia' where the electric cable for the boot gets caught in the boot opening gap ... doesn't do any damage but is a pain ... it's a quick fix with the dealer normally cable-tie-ing it onto the left hand boot hinge

so welcome to Alfa ownership ... hope you enjoy your spider as much as me

oh and if you have a problem you're bound to find the answer here

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

redback , spider