Going back: 159 to GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Going back: 159 to GT

Hey all,

I've only had my 159 3.2 Q4 saloon since March, but I'm changing it tomorrow ... for a GT 3.2 V6.

It's a shame. I had sooooooooooo wanted a 3.2 159 and soooooooooooo wanted to enjoy it, but - ultimately - I haven't.

There's no doubt that it's a refined car, comfortable, safe and robust and - well - simply stunning.

But it's never excited me. And that made me feel like I might as well have gotten a BMW or something equally horrid. I had come from a 147 GTA and then a 166 3.0 before landing on the 159 (the bigger car required for family use).

Sod it. When we need it, we can put up with my wife's old Merc A-Class (soon to be replaced with a new Fiat Grande Punto through scrappage and monthly saving by moving to the GT from the 159).

Picking up GT tomorrow. Really hope one day to come back to the 159, but only when it delivers all it promises in its gorgeous looks.

Shame ... but, by tomorrow evening I hope to be smiling again.

Keep enjoying your 159s, Breras and Spiders. They are simply in a league of their own.

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Sorry you didnt get what you thought from the 159.....

I have had similar thoughts but i wont be changing, just next time will have petrol again as I came from a 156 2.0TS SP1 with Induction kit etc and it sounded great and the car appealed to all the senses...... this car sometimes doesnt feel how i would have hoped especially steering and most of all the noise, I knew i would miss it but didnt realise how much.

I love the 159 and think its really a stunning car but the 156 or my old one at least had a little more old school Alfa soul......
My purchase was partly driven by my wife who also funded it and to apease her fuel efficient nature compromised with the diesel, its been great since i got the remap although its currently with the dealer for new EGR so hopefully it will improve further.....

If only i could just add to my cars instead of replacing them!
AO Member
County: Lancashire
Interesting, what was it specifically you didn't like about the 159? I have the (older) 3 series and the 2.4 159 Ti i drove recently wipes the floor with it, in terms of character though I can possibly understand, without having driven any other Alfa, that it might not have as much 'soul' as the older models but I think that's true of most cars these days as they become more refined.

But I think the 159 has bucketloads more than the 3 series, and I'm referrring to the older version - the new one is techinally perfect but is less engaging to drive than the old one.
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Every time I hear something like this it makes me appreciate my GT even more.

Sorry to hear you didn't get on with 159V6, but if its smiles you're after you should get more than your fair share in the GT.

May I suggest a remap from Red Dot Racing.
Mines been fantastic since they tuned it with their GTA programme.
I'm now running 272bhp/197ft-lb, thats 11% up on the standard map.
Its definitely more responsive and the fuel consumption's a little better too.

Hope you enjoy your new ride.
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
S'funny - I know know I'd struggle to go back to one of the older models. I loved my 156 and I've always liked the GT, but I find them so "crude" to sit in and to drive these days. All about personal choices and priorities I guess.
AO Platinum Member
County: -
I agree with Fraser. Its personal preference at the end of the day.

For me to 'go back' to a GT/156 wouldn't be a logical step. IMHO the 159/Brera has been a massive step forward from the GT/156 platform in terms of quality, ride and general solidity.

There's an argument that this 'solidity' has diluted the raw Alfa spirit and refinement is now a match for the german dull-mobiles, but for me the 159 is a more attaractive package than its ever been (mid-size saloon) when compared to the competition.

It's not like I've had perfect 159's. Far, far from it But having had a few days in a GT Cloverleaf last month, there's a huge difference in the dynamics.

Good luck with the GT 3.2 - it's a great motor in a good car. Shame the 3.2 159 didn't set your heart on fire.

Did you get a decent px on the 159 btw

-Keep It Moist-
I'm experiencing deja vu and amnesia at the same time... I think I've forgotten this before.
145 QV->156 1.8->166 3.0->156SW 2.4->166 3.0 V6->156 2.4 20v->2.0Spider->159 2.4->159 2.4->159 TI 2.4 Modifica->Merc C-Class->Jag XJ->Boxster S->BMW 330d XD Msport Plus Performance

AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
The GT is very harsh over bumps & pot holes and twists and flexes under load in corners.

Just done 2.7k miles in ours over the last two weeks. Good on the smooth stuff though with fantastic sound & speed with excellent traction from the Q2 and stopping power from the PF pads (both a must have IMHO). Steering feel & directness is awesom although the poor lock & turning circle was a major minus point on the Furka & Stelvio passes though

Build / material quality is from a previous generation though.

I'd take a 159 any day and even Clare now likes the Brera after seeing GTleigh's at close quarters over the last fortnight.

I'm betting you'll be back in a newer range car very soon

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
AO Member
County: Greater London
I've gone off my 3.2 Q4 as well, which is a real shame because I loved it at first. Recently I've been harking after my first Alfa, a stunning black 156 with grey leather interior. Yes the 159 is absolutely a better car, but do you know what... it is more boring, and certainly from the back at least, the 156 was definitely prettier.
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

Difficult to say what the main issue for me is but think I felt more involved in the driving experience. . . More part of the car to use a cliche! I wont be going back though. . . Mrs would kill me.
AO Member
County: Bucks

Member car:

Scenic II 1.9

I went from GTV6 to BreraSV6 to GTV6. You won't forget the refinement of the newer interior, nor the general solid feeling in the newer breeds, but the old V6 and light handling feeling does it for me. Sure, the interior is bland and a tad outdated, and things are more likely to go wrong, but it's worth it for me! I just see the GT as a really authentic car.

A warranty and road assistance cover though is a necessity. With my two GTs I have suffered:

- complete front suspension failure, new upper\lower wishbones and drop links (1st one)
- replacement rear window screen - heater failure. (1st)
- new alternator (2nd)
- indicators misted up with condensation (1st)
- new clutch replacement (1st)
- clutch pin snapped (1st)

The GT's crashiness can be substantially improved with suspension upgrade, and the V6's VDC goes quiet in wet weather with a Q2 installed- a must have.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , back