1 Year in: Progress Report - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 24-06-09 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 505
County: New South Wales
1 Year in: Progress Report

Yesterday was the first anniversary of my picking up the 2.4 JTD 159. I posted a six-month update on the "159 Poll" thread, and at that time voted "no problems".

So, after a year, how is it going?

Still "no problems". The odometer is showing a bit over 31,000 km (a bit over 19,200 miles in old money). The engine is going as well as it ever has. No, better. The endless power on acceleration is wonderful and the car feels more powerful (for all practical purposes) than my previous car which was a 4-litre petrol engined Ford. My drive to work and back each day is a fairly fast 40 kilometres (24 miles) or so and every other month or so I do a 1500 km round trip from Canberra to Melbourne. So it appears to respond well to that sort of treatment.

One thing that has definitely improved since the six-month mark is the gear change from 2nd to 3rd. When new it was very notchy. At six months it was still a bit agricultural. Now it is smooth enough for fast changes. I have to admit that after 30 years of driving petrol cars it took me a while to adapt to a turbo diesel - these days I shift up much earlier and give it a real squirt at around 2000 revs, and I get much better acceleration as a result.

Any issues? Very minor. At about eight months I got a small amount of windscreen creak which was fixed by the silicon spray treatment as documented on this forum.

When the car was quite new the gear knob started to come loose. I tightened it. After another few months it started to rattle again - I applied a drop of Loctite when tightening it and it has been fine since.

The diesel rattle is quite obtrusive when the engine is cold. After 5-10 minutes it reduces to acceptable levels.

Power loss during DPF regen is noticeable. I generally drop to a lower gear when I notice it happening. Once every couple of months I have added a dose of Redex diesel treatment. Of course, with no control in the experiment I have no way of knowing whether it was worth doing!

The random auto-sensing wiper speed is mildly irritating, but I once had a Peugeot which did the same so I will put it down to the state of the technology rather than anything to do with Alfa.

I am still on the original Pzero Neros, and they are not yet down to the wear indicators on the inside, however I did get a wheel alignment at the first service (15000 km) and swopped the tyres front to back at about 26000 km. I don't think it will be all that long before the tyres need replacing though. I will post when I do it. Interestingly, the steering did have a slight drift to the left which the alignment did not fix, but the front-to-back swop did!

I still enjoy getting admiring and/or jealous looks from other drivers.

In summary - I have had more problems in the first year of ownership of Fords, Holdens, Hondas and Nissans. (Fewer problems with the only new Toyota I have owned but it was otherwise a very boring experience). if the car were to be written off tomorrow, I would buy another, exactly the same. Except with red leather.

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTD in Pinot Grigio
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: -
Thumbs Up

Very good review Stewart and happy to hear its running well!
very very good.
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
A great insite into 2.4 ownership Stewart!

Encouraging to see the newer breed of Alfa's are as good to own and live with as anything else and of course way better looking than anything else on the road short of 40k!
AO Platinum Member
County: Essex
Nice Review Have to agree about the wipers had mine nearly 2 years now and the auto wipers still have a mind of there own
AO Member
County: Aquitaine
Good , concise and positive review of the Alfa 159.

I took the plunge a month ago and bought a 1 year old 2.4Ti with 30,000km on it and haven't looked back since.
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire
Nice review.

I'm over two years and approaching 32,000 miles. I've had what I would call two breakdowns (inlet and EGR wihtin a couple of weeks of each other at 25,000 miles - probably related) although neither left me stranded at the side of the road and the garage provided decent courtesy cars on both occasions. I've had a couple of niggles - the rattly rear view mirror and the ubiquitous windscreen creak - but the car's pretty much been a joy. Fast, good handling, comfortable, practical, well built and beautiful to look at. No regrets whatsoever.
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Good reading - think the 159 is a big step up in build quality
AO Member
County: Glasgow
Build quality is indeed a huge improvement over 156/147. Except maybe the interior door handles - bit plasticky...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

progress , report , year